Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1992 Subaru Loyale

92LoyaleH4

This is only my second post, and ive got a few pics of my Loyale...Its a 3sp FWD. I payed $300 for it and have put probably 800 to 1000 into it to make it an incredible (still slow) car.

When i bought it the timing was off but i still got it home under its own power!

The letter below in the pics is from the origional owner and the first pic above the letter is the pic she sent me!

Best car i've ever owned tho, A/C still works and its never let me down!:D

scan0006_zps804a0b27.jpg

letter_zpsa5f9ee25.jpg

This is a pretty cool thread so far! Nice letter from the other owner! That car is rather clean :)

Ya, and being up north it's one of the few Loyales...and as far as being "clean" its possibly the only one around here. I store it in the winter and have taken it to a few car shows! I have the window sticker that letter, and pic...all make for a great showcase of car.

Love the car tho, i baby the hell out of it!

It's a 3AT. :rolleyes:

My 3AT 4WD with 27s and roofrack still gets decent mileage, went all the way to MI from WI and used maybe 2 tank fulls roundtrip. Mind you I was running at 4100rpm most of the way.

So a FWD 3AT Sedan would actually get rather decent mileage, I'd say mid-20s with full tune up.

I WISH it was a standard...i know very well the car would be more fun...but the 3AT is unique in that its a hydraulic tranny, and god forbid i refer to the loyale as a sports car; in the twisty's the auto does feel like a standard (well err sort of) And honestly the car handles incredible well for what it is.:clap:

I average 26 and above. 28 seems to be the norm I get around 24 to 26 city as long as i drive it nice. I keep it very well tuned as well (mobil one 10w-30 helps!). When i run on the highway tho i run about 55mph at 3100 rpm i think...i don't like to run it too fast...:-p

My 3AT 4WD with 27s and roofrack still gets decent mileage, went all the way to MI from WI and used maybe 2 tank fulls roundtrip. Mind you I was running at 4100rpm most of the way.

So a FWD 3AT Sedan would actually get rather decent mileage, I'd say mid-20s with full tune up.

Swapping it to 4WD ain't hard if you ever get tired of the FWD.

Gotta ask whats all involved...we talking just driveshaft, rear end, rear suspension change, rear hub change (XT6 conversion would be done!) All bolt in pretty much???

What all needs done to tranny?

If there's a thread i can go to please send me there;)

If you are swapping it from FWD 3AT to 4WD 3AT, then the Transmission will bolt right in, the wiring should all be there from the factory. I don't think the Tranny TCU is any different, as the 4WD engages via solenoids so the clutch packs lock up which engages the center drive shaft.

The rear suspension tube arms you can still reuse. All you have to do it replace the 2WD rear brake drum with one from a 4WD car (There are splines in the center of the drum) remove the cap from the rear of the arm, so you can slide the axle through, put your drum on, tighten the axle nut and you should be good to go in the rear.

I'm not sure if the Fuel tank was changed from FWD to 4WD on the EA82 chassis. I know it was on the EA81 chassis, so you might need to get a 4WD Fuel tank to compensate space for the rear diff.

Thats just a quick run down without getting to intricate with the details.

-Tom

• 3 weeks later...

Nice Subaru Loyale you Have, it look to be in Good Shape.

A Li'l off-topic but... About your Subaru Loyale Wagon on a "Capital-One" card:

CapitalOnecard.jpg

YES THATS WHAT MY CARD LOOKS LIKE...

I am surprised that no one commented about that yet, I guess that only age-old USMB Members will remember about the relation between Capital-One and a Subaru Loyale Wagon; I first thought it was a Joke when I first saw that card, but I didn't commented waiting for someone else to do that, but seems like that relation has been Forgotten...

Let me Show you:

... I cringe every time I see the Capital One barbarians-running-summer-camp ad where they drop a huge rock on old gen subi wagon.

Yes, I really Hated that Capital-One TV ad, they destroy a Nice Subaru Wagon like yours on it.

There even are Threads about that:

~► Terrible Capital One Add....

- a post of that thread:

... and uses a catapult to launch a boulder onto a late 80’s early 90’s Subaru wagon, crushing it. Car looked like it was in decent shape too just like one I had ... no Capital One credit cards for me…..

~► Ea82 wagon gets it in credit card commercial

- a post of that thread:

today i saw the most infuriating capital one commercial ever!!!!

they catapolt a 15 ton boulder onto a sweet almost COMPLETELY cherry Ea82 wagon :confused::mad::eek: .........i was sooooooooooo pissed i had to post it.

So, I find that card... "Interesting" ...somehow.

Please, don't get me wrong: No offence intended, I only wanted to Bring back and Share some History with you...

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo
Misspelled Word, Fixed.

I was VERY surprised no one said anything about the car...Yes i do actaully have a card exactly like that..except of course my name is not Lee Cardhold:-p

However, i was not aware and did look for a clip of this horrid sounding commercial. Ironic to say the least. But i do get compliments when i use it and considering it is a credit card i try not to that much lol.

:clap:UPDATE: Due to hurricane Sandy (i can use that as an excuse) i backed into a tree. It was dark and i was tired and i am going to make every excuse I want to:D...

Luckily it only hit the right rear body moulding. But 2 of the holders are on car and the rear most holder snapped...CAN I BUY JUST THE HARDWARE OR DO I HAVE TO BUY EVERYTHING????