Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine noise and what to do next!

So for a month now, in the morning I could hear my valves pinging, soon as it heated up it would go away. Now yesterday it got really loud, so I parked it. Now Im not sure on what would be best, Rebuild the motor I have. Get it ready for an ej swap. My friend has a 96 outback, he might be selling it to me. I am not sure how difficult that would be of a swap. I have read ppl doing ej20g swaps but not ej25, Maybe im not looking good enough.

Ive heard alot of the ej being a semi easy swap. My friend(who owned my rx before me said the bolt pattern for the motor are the same?). Also keeping that duel range would be nice(since it shifts so smooth). Money is a factor also, I am currently moving into a house so that I could actually do some work on my car. I changed my head gaskets on my ea82 in my apartment complex(they didnt like that lol).

I used my rx for 3 years now as a daily driver, Love the car. After I did the headgaskets and left it stock I didnt have any problems with the motor, I know that the rebuild is about 1200. I Hate to see it go but if it does it will def be to someone on this forum. Without this forum I would'nt have had it on the road for that long. It let a car noob like me do all the work my self.

Well back to more reading on the forums Ill see if I can find that ej25 swap. If I do end up putting it for sale, Ill re post my original post on selling it. Any info on this would be great so that I can see if Ill have enough time to do a swap.

Probably just needs hydraulic lifters. 8 total @ $40 each. Plus gasket maker. Also need the tiny subaru hi-temp O-rings. Piece of cake. Probably will be doing the water pump and timing belts at the same time. The timing belt pulleys and geared guide may also need replacing. It's a one day job if you have all of the parts. Check your records and see when this stuff was done last, in order to determine whether it will be required.

Needs to have the oil pump resealed. It's gertting air bubbles into the oilsupply....that's why they tick.

EJ swap will require an adapter and redrilled flywheel. Plus exhaust, Radiator fans, and of course stripping down and installing the EJ harness.

2.5 from an outback will work, but probably not a good choice. That engine is known for headgasket and rod bearing issues.

2.2 would be a much better choice.

Probably just needs hydraulic lifters. 8 total @ $40 each. Plus gasket maker. Also need the tiny subaru hi-temp O-rings. Piece of cake. Probably will be doing the water pump and timing belts at the same time. The timing belt pulleys and geared guide may also need replacing. It's a one day job if you have all of the parts. Check your records and see when this stuff was done last, in order to determine whether it will be required.

Ill give that a shot, I did the timing belts and pulleys at about 10k miles ago, when I first got the car, should I do them again? Also did the water pump at the same time. How long do they last? its a cheap fix and not a lot of work. I bought a full gasket set from felpro I think it has the high temp o-rings. Thanks

Needs to have the oil pump resealed. It's gertting air bubbles into the oilsupply....that's why they tick.

EJ swap will require an adapter and redrilled flywheel. Plus exhaust, Radiator fans, and of course stripping down and installing the EJ harness.

2.5 from an outback will work, but probably not a good choice. That engine is known for headgasket and rod bearing issues.

2.2 would be a much better choice.

You know what I noticed that when I took the dipstick out it had little tiny air bubbles. Any idea if there are oil pumps for this thing anymore? I looked back when I did the headgaskets and I couldnt find a new one, You think the real seal would do it? I havnt replaced the pump before and it always worried me that it would go out. Thanks for the info

Ill give that a shot, I did the timing belts and pulleys at about 10k miles ago, when I first got the car, should I do them again? Also did the water pump at the same time. How long do they last? its a cheap fix and not a lot of work. I bought a full gasket set from felpro I think it has the high temp o-rings. Thanks

It is too soon for timing belts, water pump & pulleys. Water pumps should be changed at 20,000. Timing belts are usually done at the same time but will last much longer. Pulleys will last about 80,000 before their bearings make noise. Do you have any obvious leaks under the oil pump? If so, then Gloyale's tip is worth looking into. If the two oil transmission holes to the camshaft tower from the cylinder head, were not sealed around the holes to efficiently transmit the oil, then the hydraulic lifters can make noise from lack of makeup oil. There are two joining flat areas on the cylinder head and camshaft tower, with a oil hole in the middle, that require ringing them with gasket maker sealant in order to better transmit oil that eventually goes to the lifters. If non-subaru O-rings were used between the cylinder head and camshaft tower, (which melt under normal operating temperatures), you also would get lifter noise from lack of oil flow.