Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So is my alternator fried?

To start, I have a 1981 DL 4wd wagon...

I ran out of gas today and while trying to move the car off the road, I couldn't push it myself so I cranked it while letting out the clutch, a couple times. I didn't do it for very long. After I get gas and get on my way, all the idiot lights are on and the car dies on me while driving, I can restart it and go aways more but then dies on me again. Also I hear a whirring noise where the pitch goes up and down with the revs. The sound is coming from around the alt area, can't get too close with the belt and fans going.

I bought a reman alternator at Autozone on the way home, my wife had to pick me up. I had to leave the car parked at the grocery store. Before I install the new one I'm going to have the old one tested. I'll go get it tomorrow after work with a tow dolly. Any tips for towing?

The warning lights are in series with the field wire of the alternator. If something causes a problem with the alternator charging then these lights will glow. If one of the rectifiers goes out, these lights will glow slightly at idle. It sounds like something has really failed in your charging system.

Well, it turns out my alternator was bad. I had it tested earlier and left it at the store for my core refund. I installed the new alt and took it for a drive, no idiot lights,no stalling, and no funny noises. Atleast no new funny noises, all the old funny noises are still making noises. The only problem I had was getting the long bolt on the left side by the air filter housing to thread back into the bolt/bracket thing. I couldn't do it, so I turned it around and was able to get it to thread on tight. The threads on the bolt were pretty bunged up so the wouldn't catch.

Wasteland mentioned the Voltage regulator, I haven't checked it yet becuase I don't know what it looks like. The haynes manual shows it taken apart but not put together or where it's located. I think it's just behind the coil, can anyone help me out on it's location?

My experience from My 1980 4wd wagon. The output of the alternator is used to keep the fuel pump going( a crash safety shut off thing). So if alt quits then fuel pump is shut off. So perhaps you did not actually run out of gas, even though symtoms the same?

I had an intermittent alt that drove me nuts on way home one night, would work for 1-5 minutes before shutting down and having to coast off road. But in "start" position the pump operates so could get going. FINALLY figured out what was going on and had wife bring me tools and a piece of wire to hot wire the fuel pump to get me home. I replaced regulator but took the alternator replace to fix it. I also wired up an override switch to at least be able run on battery power, and two years later was used when my belt broke in traffic. Kept going until could pull off and replace with the spare I always carried.

As far as location of regulator, I believe it was on fenderwall near front corner-cont remeber if on drivers side near the jack or behind the battery on pass side.

Again, this was on my 1980, dont know if applys to 1981

I replaced the alternator Friday night. I drove the car on Sat, Sun, and today to work. I haven't had any other problems so I;m pretty sure it was just the alternator. Honestly I don't know if my 81 has an electric fuel pump or not. Thanks though for your response.