Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Seat belts won't latch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:01 PM

I just swapped leather seats from a 97 OBW, into my 99 OBW. I am surprised to find out that the buckle on the leather seats won't latch to the belt tongue. The tongue simply slides in and out of the buckle without latching. This is happening on both seats, with WD-40 failing to fix the situation, in case something was sticking or binding inside the buckle. Only conclusion I can make, is that the buckle must be different internally, though both look the same from the outside. Anyone else ever have this problem?

My solution is to swap the buckles onto the new seats from the old seats. It appears to be just one bolt holding the buckle to the seat frame. I hope I don't run into any snags completing the switch over.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,061 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:05 PM

Buckles have various forms and shapes. I ran into this on my car as well when switching to some old "mouse fur" seats from a 90 - 94 Legacy. The buckles are easy to swap though if the seats are out of the car. Just swap back to your original buckles.
The drivers side has the wire harness for the seatbelt light. It's held on by some zip ties to the lower frame of the seat.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:59 PM

Buckles have various forms and shapes. I ran into this on my car as well when switching to some old "mouse fur" seats from a 90 - 94 Legacy. The buckles are easy to swap though if the seats are out of the car. Just swap back to your original buckles.
The drivers side has the wire harness for the seatbelt light. It's held on by some zip ties to the lower frame of the seat.

Thanks for the advise...............

After I wrote this thread, I looked at my old seats to see that one large nut affixes the buckle unit to the seat frame. I will just swap them out. I am still surprised that the buckle units look the same on old vs new seats, but internally something is different to prevent the buckle from working correctly.

#4 jboymechanic

jboymechanic

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 420 posts
  • Waterford, WI

Posted 07 October 2012 - 10:20 AM

Try pressing the button the receiver. Every once in a great while the belt in my car will not latch. If I pull the buckle out, press the button and then re-insert the buckle it works. Not sure how this happens, but it does.

#5 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:48 AM

Try pressing the button the receiver. Every once in a great while the belt in my car will not latch. If I pull the buckle out, press the button and then re-insert the buckle it works. Not sure how this happens, but it does.

I will give it a try.

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:16 PM

I will give it a try.

Tried pushing the release button, while putting the tongue inside the buckle side. That didn't help. I will just swap out the buckles from the old seats. Thanks for the idea.

#7 bratman18

bratman18

ADIDASubarus

• Members
  • 3,519 posts
  • Jefferson, Maine

Posted 07 October 2012 - 05:34 PM

When I put 04 WRX seats into my 04 Forester XT, I had the same issue. Just had to swap the buckles between the 2.

should actually add that the other guy put my Forester seats into his WRX, his buckles worked just fine! But mine would not clip in, so we swapped them out and we were both good to go.

#8 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,748 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 07 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

When I put 04 WRX seats into my 04 Forester XT, I had the same issue. Just had to swap the buckles between the 2.

should actually add that the other guy put my Forester seats into his WRX, his buckles worked just fine! But mine would not clip in, so we swapped them out and we were both good to go.

Makes you wonder why Subaru would have different seat belt buckles, when from the outside they look the same. I wonder if maybe they are from different suppliers to Subaru??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users