I need some help on a judgment call here; I may or may not owe my buddy some money.
I went with him to help diagnose a car that had been sitting for over a year, a 91 Grand
Marquis 5.0L. The car's battery hadn't been disconnected so of course it was dead. I said
"Hey, let's use the battery out of your 93 Legacy (2.2L)." So we did.
His car was much smaller than the Marquis and it required that I jump the Marquis with my own
car while his fully charged battery was in the Marquis. The Marquis ran for a grand total of 15
seconds, revved up high several times by my friend, before I pulled the jumper cables off,
after which the Marquis died at idle speed.
We assumed the car was good but just needed a new battery. After replacing his battery into
his car, he was not able to start it. So I gave him a jump. After he got home and parked, he was
not able to get the car to start again. He put the battery on a charger for a couple hours and got
it to start again, but after parking it the battery would not start the engine.
He thinks the battery may have died due to improper use as a testing battery for the much larger
Grand Marquis 5.0. Is this possible? I knew the battery size was different but I never imagined that
the Marquis would be able to destroy a battery in 15 seconds just because it was meant for a smaller
vehicle. But if this is true I should pay him for a replacement or at least half of one; the battery
appeared old and is almost certainly out of warranty.
Edited by DirtyMech, 06 October 2012 - 09:40 PM.