Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Starter Issue?

My battery is not leaking. It's only about six months old or so, and the terminals were like that when I bought the car. The previous owner had left the car sitting unattended for a few months before selling, and that caused the previous battery to go bad. I will try cleaning it though. I'm glad the solution was so simple. Thanks again for everything you guys.

the fuzz is from fumes. it will leak fumes and you won't be able to tell its leaking except that corrosion and on the under of the hood maybe. if any of the crust is new or it has more than just the crud that was there when you got it, your battery could be leaking fumes.

Not saying it is, but keep an eye on it. just being new doesnt mean it wont do it.

not the end of the world, but be careful with sparks around the leaky ones. thats the reason your not supposed to hook the jumper cable ground to the battery.

No, the corrosion on my battery is not new. It hasn't become any more corroded since I bought the car. The stuff that's on there is old stuff that's been on there for a while. But I understand what you're saying. Considering I open the hood probably a minimum of twice a week, it won't be hard to keep an eye on it, haha. That's why I wasn't thinking this problem was caused by my battery or wire, because the terminal hasn't become any more corroded over time.