Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Dual Carb EA-81 Build

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 18 October 2012 - 10:47 PM

That's neat they had a cooler air duct attachment on those too. Never seen that on a US market car.

#27 el_freddo

el_freddo

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 515 posts
  • Lancefield, Vic, Aust.

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

That's neat they had a cooler air duct attachment on those too. Never seen that on a US market car.

I've never seen that period! Makes me want one (as well as an EA81S)!!

Cheers

Bennie

#28 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,930 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think the ea82 carb cars had that when they were new, I bet most are broken and gone by now. Would probably be pretty easy to retrofit into an ea81.

#29 TOONGA

TOONGA

I divided by zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Australind

Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

They were standard on the EA82 Carby model in Australia, but the cold air pipe went to the same spot as where the MPFI air cleaner sits in the engine bay.

TOONGA

#30 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

More stuff!!

Got the link made as well as a cable spool. now to weld it and powedercoat. and a custom airbox!

Posted Image

Posted Image

#31 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

cool. I bet that linkage was fun to dial in.

Ive got some old-school carb sync's if you are interested.

#32 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:42 PM

I havent adjusted the carbs yet. need it to run first!

#33 Idasho

Idasho

Lost in the woods....

• Members
  • 952 posts
  • North ID

Posted 01 November 2012 - 11:44 PM

I know, but just getting the linkage sorted out can be a challenge.

Have you ever tuned dual carbs before?

#34 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 02 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

not yet.

#35 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Hey Mark, Having any luck? During the warm weather the "Trasher" would start every time without the choke.Mine has a manual choke setup.Well now that warm weather is just a memory....Its getting harder to start,very hard.Most cars with a manual choke have a pattern to get it started. Pull all the way out and then 2 pumps or something like that..I can't find that with mine.Its like full choke and pump like crazy then push it in a little and hope it catches....and then pray it keeps running as it warms up. so I'm thinking its a fuel problem cause it starts right up when its warm ,by the sun or just by running.All I have ever done to adjust the carbs was just adjust one ...then the other one...And it seems to be ok..till now.You know mabey i just need a tune up or a hotter coil.Is there such a thing? So Mark ,good luck over there in Big Sky Country hope all is well

#36 phantomD

phantomD

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • Australia

Posted 02 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

If i wasn't so extendent with bills etc at the moment I mite had been kean for some spares :burnout:

kiwi subbie - wondering if you can help me - how rare are those cold air intakes? Would there be one in NZ that could be sent over to Oz with the right arrangement?

#37 kiwi subbie

kiwi subbie

Certified Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 932 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:58 AM

kiwi subbie - wondering if you can help me - how rare are those cold air intakes? Would there be one in NZ that could be sent over to Oz with the right arrangement?

Very rare. Never seen one till I got mine. My one the rubber is all cracked from aging and heat etc

#38 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:32 AM

progress! I quit one of my jobs so now i have a lot more free time to tinker. The motor is ready to go back into the car, and i am seeing all the parts i am missing.

I dont know what the solenoid looking things on the front of the carbs do or how to hook them up, i am missing some return springs, various linkages and flanges, and the whole upper pivot bar. also i have no idea how to hook up the vacuum ports. :-\

I am also starting to think i dont want this motor in my wheeler wagon... not very much low end torque from what i understand.

#39 TOONGA

TOONGA

I divided by zero

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • Australind

Posted 21 January 2013 - 05:44 AM

progress! I quit one of my jobs so now i have a lot more free time to tinker. The motor is ready to go back into the car, and i am seeing all the parts i am missing.

I dont know what the solenoid looking things on the front of the carbs do or how to hook them up, i am missing some return springs, various linkages and flanges, and the whole upper pivot bar. also i have no idea how to hook up the vacuum ports. :-\

I am also starting to think i dont want this motor in my wheeler wagon... not very much low end torque from what i understand.

I can tell you the soleniods are for the idle circuit, they need ignition switched power to turn them on and when the ignition is turned off so do the solenoids.

I had one of these motors in an MY wagon and in low range it was very hard to bog ... the only way I could bog it was leave the tyres completely inflated and have the car full of people, and as soon as the tyres were deflated it would dig it self out of the sand with 5 people in the car.

TOONGA

#40 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

Boy ,Your talking about duel carbs right?I never had any problems with low end tourqe.If you want I can take some pictures of my set up and you could fab things together..Don't give up. We can start a gang..haha the duel stack club or somethin.....let me know,todd the OSF

#41 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 21 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

ok i will hook the solenoids up to ignition. for the vacuum lines do i just need to hook them all up? and how about the vacuum cylinder thingy on the rear driver side of the motor?

#42 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

The vacuum lines just hook up to the manifold..as to that other thing I'll go check it out and get back to ya..have fun.snowing over there? we just have fog..

#43 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 22 January 2013 - 02:46 AM

Its been snowing on and off here all month. got two feet here last week

#44 Subaru80

Subaru80

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • New York

Posted 22 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

progress!!

Posted Image

also, i dont have a throttle link for the motor, so i have to make one.

Posted Image

had to fab up a bracket to hold the link on the passenger side

Posted Image

Posted Image

we've got a powder coating setup at the diesel shop were i work. I love employee perks!

and i decided to paint the hood on the wagon too.

before
Posted Image

after

Posted Image

i had to factory order in a xt6 clutch kit so that is a week out. and i should have that throttle link done by the end of this week.

Great Job! How is it running?

I have a dual carb EA-71 that I just finished.

http://s1275.beta.photobucket.com/

#45 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:34 AM

Today i put the engine in the car! i will get all the plumbing together tomorrow and see if i can make it run!

#46 Markus56

Markus56

Whup tee do

• Members
  • 794 posts
  • Wolf Point, Montana

Posted 01 February 2013 - 01:49 AM

Its mostly hooked up and we can run it on brake cleaner! it was hovering around 0 degrees F today and the fuel pump does not want to stay running :mad:.

#47 old sub freak

old sub freak

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 279 posts
  • mt vernon,washington

Posted 02 February 2013 - 12:47 AM

Cool !! Keep us posted....Todd ..OSF

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users