Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Passing Emission

iceberg113

Anyone in the portland area know how easy it would be to get my '86 GL to pass? Its got a weber and original cats, but I bought it without a muffler. Is this going to cause an issue? What other things should I be "warned" about or take care of before I register?

Anyone in the portland area know how easy it would be to get my '86 GL to pass? Its got a weber and original cats, but I bought it without a muffler. Is this going to cause an issue? What other things should I be "warned" about or take care of before I register?

If the Weber is jetted correctly and dialed in, then it can pass no problem. If you don't have an EGR valve hooked up, that could possibly cause some issues. Check to make sure your air filter is clean, and your fuel filter is good. Other than that you should be good to go.

They do end of pipe sniffer tests on cars of the '86 vintage, so if you have straight pipe instead of a muffler you should be good, but if the muffler is just missing and the tail pipe terminates up under the car they might refuse to crawl under the car.