Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I Got A Connection! & Looking For A Cheap Exhaust Fix

So... an old friend & ex-coworker stopped down at my workplace today. He left a while back, and went to work for a Saturn dealership. Few months ago, he switched dealerships.

It came across in conversation that he occasionally gets old Subaru wagons (old to him... '80s) on trade-in. The dealership, apparently, usually just sends the off to "wholesale" (I assume an auction). However, the dealership has the option to turn around 'n' sell them. He just sent two of 'em off last week.

Anyhow, he's got my number now, and I've got a promise that if he gets anything Subaru from the eighties or early nineties, he'll give me a holler. Even if it's not something that I can pull together at the time (things are tight until the wife graduates, and we can get back on our feet this summer), I ought to be able pass the info along to this site. If he or the dealership is interested, I'll pass along the USMB url. I don't know how much they get for the cars through wholesale, but I don't imagine it's too much. We'd get a possible source for Subie's in the Albany, NY area, and they'd get a second option besides wholesaling to get rid of their trade-in's.

And second... anybody have any suggestions for replacing a section of exhaust? It broke off right at the mount right after the front cat, then again right at the flange before the muffler.

I figured I'd give a parts yard a call first, find out what they wanted for the y-pipes & front cat rump roast'y, the midsection with the rear cat and exhaust pipe leading back to the flange before the muffler. If I go that route, I've got to figure out how to pull those rusted exhaust studs out (saw multiple previous threads on how to do so, no biggie).

If that doesn't go well (the j/y wants too much $), I'm going to look into bending the pipe myself. If I go this route, will I be able to lock down the exhaust at two points, and leverage at a third, to bend it? Or am I going to have to find something circular with the radius I want to support the pipe as I'm bending it? Trying to save as much $ as possible... I'd rather not spend money experimenting... that'll come later this summer :D.