Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 Impreza ob special edition. I need advice

I found a 2006 Impreza ob special edition with just 12000 miles for approx $15000. The car fax looks legit and it is at a Honda dealer. Is there any red flag for a car with such few miles and will this lead to future problems?

I have a baby coming in the spring and I'm looking for something safer and more reliable for my wife. I'll be selling my 2005 civic si (if anyone is interested let me know) and I will keep her 97 legacy since it really isn't worth much to sell/trade. It will be fun to have a beater to tinker with.

Anyway, any advice on the Impreza is appreciated. We have been considering a new one with the improved mpgs but the price is deterrent.

Also, I have the typical rust behind the wheel wells on the legacy. Any good tutorials on a decent repair procedure.

Thanks to all. I have been on this forum for a short time and gotten mountains of good info and advice.

Test drive. #1 thing to look for is torque bind. Go out to a flat level parking lot at the end of the test drive and drive in a tight circle. The ar should be able to pull smoothly through this with almost no throttle and no kickback through the steering wheel.

This is a 6yo car and should be looked at as such, not a car with 12,000 miles on it.

I would expect it wil need tires due to age and sitting. Would recomend getting the fluids changed, otherwise sounds fine.

Is carfax showing one owner?

Headgaskets are an issue. Make sure they aren't leaking externally, have someone (or yourself) visually inspect all headgasket mating surfaces underneath the vehicle, the leaks are visible.

Price seems a bit high but your area is probably going to be that and I guess you're wanting less miles rather than newer.

Really? on a 2006?

Yes. And sitting, oil and coolant changes and age are much more of a factor than the miles for it too. Put the $1 bottle of Cooling system conditioner in and hope that it makes it to the 105K timing belt interval for Head Gasket Replacement and save up for the job.

Thanks for all the quick tips. I'll try to answer some questions and hopefully get some more feedback.

-The carfax shows very meticulous, regular service at a subaru dealer and one owner.

-the listing claims new tires

-It is being sold by a reputable Honda dealership so I "assume" no leaks and fluids should be good but I will hopefully be checking it out in the next few days. It's an hour away. On the other hand, we bought my wife's legacy at *harlies Subaru in ME and they had replaced one tire with a different size which burned up the transmission some how. I took weeks to get them to fess up to it and pay for the massive repair. I'll look close at things.

-Yes it seems expensive for a 2006 but to make a comparison I just saw a listed 2006 with 236000 miles listed for $7500. Half the price but 20x the miles. Imprezas are like gold up here with the rough winters and the ever rising price of gas. A 2007 with 80k is going for nearly $11k in another listing.

Any other advice is certainly appreciated and thanks.

Edited by Nbe1210