Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How wide is a Gen2 brat bed?

Seems like kind of a dumb question.....but, as some of you may have seen in my other threads, my Brat ('84) doesn't live at home. It's about 25 miles away, in a direction that is not on the way to anything.

That said, a friend of mine has a roll bar that came out of his Jeep Commanche. It's at a more convenient place. I'm wondering if someone knows, or would be willing to find out, the appropriate dimensions that would give me an idea of how difficult it would be to get fit. Width, maybe distance from the front of the bed to the wheel wells, height of the wheel wells, height of the back of the cab, etc.

Seems like kind of a dumb question.....but, as some of you may have seen in my other threads, my Brat ('84) doesn't live at home. It's about 25 miles away, in a direction that is not on the way to anything.

That said, a friend of mine has a roll bar that came out of his Jeep Commanche. It's at a more convenient place. I'm wondering if someone knows, or would be willing to find out, the appropriate dimensions that would give me an idea of how difficult it would be to get fit. Width, maybe distance from the front of the bed to the wheel wells, height of the wheel wells, height of the back of the cab, etc.

When I get my gold brat back from my son, I'll try to get you those dimensions. With luck, this weekend.

If I remember correctly, one dimension is the width; if it weren't for the wheel wells, one could lay down a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood in the back; not sure how much would hang out the back since the gate has to be down.

Edited by edrach

The back wall to the top of the chrome trim is about 34" high.

The front edge of the bed closest to the seats is 51" but it appears the bed tapers back a little as it goes to the tailgate so keep that in mind.

The wheel wells are 9" tall.

ITs about 15" from the front edge of the bed to the front edge of the wheel well.

Measurements are from an 84 Turbo Brat. Don't forget about the Jump Seats-they would interfere with some of this if you have them.

Sweet! Thanks Shawn! That's perfect.

I have jumpseats, but they are not installed. So I don't mind modifying/relocating them.

Due to the amount of rust on this rig (mostly cosmetic) is to put a roll bar in it, and weld a gusset plate between the top of the roll bar to the cab. That way there's some extra beef attaching the rear suspension pickup points to the unibody.