Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

01 5mt into a 05 ob stub axle questions

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Both are five speeds 05 uses cv axles without rollpins 01 uses rollpins. Whats my solution? 05 axles appear slightly longer and the inner wheel seal scraper is different. Inner cups are different as well. Iirc the phase 1 5mt stubs dont pop out of the tranny?

#2 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Sorry.bout being.short in my post. On my phone at work,forums are hell on this phone

#3 torxxx

torxxx

I void warranties

• Members
  • 2,914 posts
  • Fairbanks

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

wow really no answer?

Let me rewrite it,

car is a 2005 OB, donor trans is a 2001. 01 uses female cups on the inner axles with roll pins. 2005 uses a male stub shaft on the inner cup. I was going to just remove the 01 stub shafts and use the newer axles, but after hours of slide hammering on the stubs I'm wondering if these ones dont come out.

The 05 axles appear longer than the 2001, not sure if they changed axle length when they when the change occured in the front end/suspension.

am I building hybrid axles or what route am I taking?

#4 avk

avk

My Outback is bigger than yours

• Members
  • 959 posts
  • Somerset County, NJ

Posted 12 October 2012 - 09:12 AM

The word on the street is that 5MT stub shafts do not come out without dis-assembly, because they are held with snap rings that require pliers to remove.

Edited by avk, 12 October 2012 - 10:49 AM.
brevity, man, brevity!

#5 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:00 PM

The word on the street is that 5MT stub shafts do not come out without dis-assembly, because they are held with snap rings that require pliers to remove.

Correct. Only the Auto trans stubs are removable externally.

I would probably take the inner DOJ cups off each and see if the splines on the CV shafts are compatible. But usually the axles will just work as is even with a little visual difference. Would help to post a photo of the outers so I can see.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users