Ultimate Subaru Message Board

01 5mt into a 05 ob stub axle questions

Both are five speeds 05 uses cv axles without rollpins 01 uses rollpins. Whats my solution? 05 axles appear slightly longer and the inner wheel seal scraper is different. Inner cups are different as well. Iirc the phase 1 5mt stubs dont pop out of the tranny?

wow really no answer?

Let me rewrite it,

car is a 2005 OB, donor trans is a 2001. 01 uses female cups on the inner axles with roll pins. 2005 uses a male stub shaft on the inner cup. I was going to just remove the 01 stub shafts and use the newer axles, but after hours of slide hammering on the stubs I'm wondering if these ones dont come out.

The 05 axles appear longer than the 2001, not sure if they changed axle length when they when the change occured in the front end/suspension.

am I building hybrid axles or what route am I taking?

The word on the street is that 5MT stub shafts do not come out without dis-assembly, because they are held with snap rings that require pliers to remove.

Edited by avk
brevity, man, brevity!

The word on the street is that 5MT stub shafts do not come out without dis-assembly, because they are held with snap rings that require pliers to remove.

Correct. Only the Auto trans stubs are removable externally.

I would probably take the inner DOJ cups off each and see if the splines on the CV shafts are compatible. But usually the axles will just work as is even with a little visual difference. Would help to post a photo of the outers so I can see.