Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Weber swap now some blowby questions

Finally got my Weber running pretty good. After some problems with surging and searching the USMB, I eliminated some other stuff like the emission canister, the EGR valve and the like. I hooked the big hoses from the valve covers to each other then put a "T" in and put in a pcv valve. Now I get way too much smoke and vapor coming out of my Oil fill tube. It was fine before with the EGR but I am not happy about it. I think I have something wrong. I saw a post from 2manetoys (attached photo) that had this good photo of his work. On the lines I am talking about what is the brass looking item that he uses on his hoses? I am looking for a description so I can buy one and put it on mine. I think the PCV valve I put in is not working as intended. Or should I go back and put the EGR back in service? Should I block off the ASV with quarters? Would this help the over pressurization of the block? Please help me. I always get good advice from you guys. Thanks

post-37015-136027659977_thumb.jpg

you need to plumb your PCV properly the over pressurisation is caused by the blowby not being removed properly from the crankcase.

PCVdirection_zps565c2762.gif

the above picture shows the proper way to vent the crankcase gases from the engine and into the PCV.

The brass looking item on his engine, is a reducer that vents gases this will work but is not an ideal solution for the PCV gases. this is because the gases also play a role in removing oil from the rocker covers back into the sump.

TOONGA

Edited by TOONGA
corrected my early morning ramblings

I put the EGR back in service and am running a large hose from it to a hour glass shaped valve by the brake booster. This was how it was before. I just think I must have messed something up when i put it back in because I never had that much pressure before. One post I read here said to take the canister out alltogether. Will try to take a picture and show how it is at this time. I am not that good with the computer so I may not be able to label things as I wish I could. How does the engine usually get the crankcase gasses out? I worry that I may blow seals and the like so I wont run it until I get it vented properly. Thanks

your confusing the EGR and PCV systems from the sound of it.

for the EGR system - you can by pass it completely if you wish, its non essential, but also removal is non beneficial. It allows some exhaust gases to enter the manifold at certain loads. its the round canister on the back of your intake manifold (I believe, since its there on an EA82). it has a small vacuum line hooked to manifold vacuum to run the diaphram, and a large hose going to the hourglass (anti-afterfire vavle). the actual EGR system is internal to the heads and manifold, the anti afterfire valve is just a noice reducer, remove it and plug the line (dont forget to plug the other hoses from the anti afterfire valve as well). If you unhook the small vacuum line the EGR will shut down and not function, which is ok as well if your just testing it out.

the PCV system vents gases from the crank case. the routing is fresh air into the top of the passenger side head (from the air cleaner, or just a breather cap you can get at any parts store). then the drivers side head has a hose that goes to the actual valve which is in the center back of the manifold. inline on the hose that works the valve needs to have a T fitting that has the 2 large holes for the hoses, and 1 reduced size hole to allow a bit of fresh air into the system if it needs it. the T doesnt hook to any other hoses, just puts a small hole in the line to keep the suction down (like a hole in a straw, otherwise it has too much suction and picks up oil). you can run a small line from the T to the air cleaner or something to filter the air, but dont connect it to any vacuum or other part of the sytem, jsut fresh air