Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Blowin' smoke

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:15 PM

Frankenmotor had a mystery oil leak plus some blue smoke. (Leak is an understatement...it was pissing everywhere.) I replaced the valve cover gaskets and the rear oil separator plate now the leak is gone but now it is smoking even worse. It gets better when it warms up but it's still present. Motor sounds healthy except for a tick that sounds like a stuck HLA.

Any ideas?

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,043 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:47 PM

Smoke from under the hood or smoke from the tail pipe?

Is the PCV valve clear? How about the hoses that go into the block? What about the breather hoses that run from the valve covers to the intake tube?

#3 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 07:49 PM

Tail pipe

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,043 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:07 PM

Blue smoke from the tail pipe is usually bad rings or valve stem seals.

Excessive oil consumption can be caused by a clogged pcv valve or breather system. A clogged PCV valve causes high crankcase pressure, which can force oil out through seals and cause leaks. With large leaks being repaired, this higher pressure has fewer places to escape, and will cause new leaks, but in the mean time it will just force it's way past the rings into the cylinder and be burned off with combustion.
The breather system is the first thing I would check. Next would be a leak down test to check for ring/cylinder wall wear.
You can also check spark plugs for oil fouling to determine if the problem is uniform for all cylinders or limited to one or two.

#5 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 12 October 2012 - 11:50 AM

PCV was stuck. Cleaned it out and the smoke screen is gone. Wish they were all this easy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users