Ultimate Subaru Message Board

There's a 2008 Impreza 2.5i with the sport package (not an outback sport) in my area for sale for $14,000. It's got 102,000km on it and appears to be in good shape. Although I have not run a report on it myself yet, the owner says it's clean.

Is $14k a bit on the high side for a car that's 5 years old and has over 100,000km on it?

UC

I paid $13k last week for a 2009 Legacy 2.5i Special Edition. 40,000 miles. Pretty clean.

Check out Edmunds or KBB. I go by trade in value and add $500 or so when making an offer on a car.

I'd offer them $10k and go to $12k or so after a few counter offers. If you can't get a good deal move on. Another car will come along. I've overpaid for a car or two and hate when I do that.

Good luck.

There's a 2008 Impreza 2.5i with the sport package (not an outback sport) in my area for sale for $14,000. It's got 102,000km on it and appears to be in good shape. Although I have not run a report on it myself yet, the owner says it's clean.

Is $14k a bit on the high side for a car that's 5 years old and has over 100,000km on it?

UC

$11-12k is more like it, but then again it is the newer although not newest body style. These cars got esp.

Ok, thanks!

Edmunds and KBB put the value for a private sale between $9500 - $11500 depending on the condition. The car is in good condition but it has a few small surface rust spots developing on the hood and roof.

Does being in Canada have a big effect on these valuations? Should I expect to pay more than that here? I check the Canadian Black Book website and it put these car at over $16,000! I think there may be something wrong with that calculation....it's not a WRX for goodness sake.

The owner wants $12000 or more...I think that's a bit steep for a car with over 100,000km on it.

Mechanically, it should run for 300,000 km at least, although it might take a bit more maintenance/repair than you would like.

Half price for less than half used up doesn't sound too bad, but starting to rust already is not good.

$16K- $18K seems to be the price in Vancouver, where the winters are not as harsh (less snow and salt), and the km's are about half.

If the body was good, I would say $12K was OK, but with rust starting, it is much less attractive.

Yeah, rust for me is a huge issue with me, especially with Canadian winters and salt on the roads. I was considering and passed up another Impreza that was an '09 model but already has the start of rust bubbles under the paint on the back hatch. The owner said they had never undercoated the car either so who knows how badly it was going to rust in the next year or so even if I had undercoated it from that point on.

I'm not sure if US citizens pay taxes on used cars from private sellers, but we have to in Canada, so once the taxes are added on and our government takes it's chunk out of our hides, that 12K car actually more like $14k. No fun.

Ok, thanks!

Edmunds and KBB put the value for a private sale between $9500 - $11500 depending on the condition. The car is in good condition but it has a few small surface rust spots developing on the hood and roof.

Does being in Canada have a big effect on these valuations? Should I expect to pay more than that here? I check the Canadian Black Book website and it put these car at over $16,000! I think there may be something wrong with that calculation....it's not a WRX for goodness sake.

The owner wants $12000 or more...I think that's a bit steep for a car with over 100,000km on it.

These bodies are not particularly prone to rust. But if people let chips and scratches go unheeded this is what happens.

Still takes forever to rust through the panels, which I might add are not structural.

Have a few sections or panels painted when you can afford to.

Also have the engine area steam cleaned and oiled.