Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cooling story, newb advice, hose recap?

Two weeks of cooling info packed into one here...

(This is concerning the 95 Legacy and similar models)...

So about two weeks ago my car overheats going to work,

I had smelled coolant off & on, but since I had basically

no choice it was dark and a panicky night...=

I had it towed to the nextdoor shop, who diagnosed the problem

as the radiator. I wish I had had the time or presence of mind to

have thought, remembered the same thing happened on my old 97,

but, and this is my newbie advice:

WHEN YOU DO THE COMPLETE TIMING BELT JOB, AND YOU REPLACE

THE COoLING HOSES, DONt FORGET THE SMALL ONE THAT LIES RIGHT BEHIND THE CONNECTION FOR THE BOTTOM LARGE HOSE TO THE THERMOSTAT!!!

And my recap for the actual number of hoses on the cooling system,

there are the two large ones off the radiator, (this is a question), the small one also attaching to the t-stat, and the two heater hoses, correct? (And for clarity, the heater ones are the two that attach to the metal pipes coming from the driver's side rear of the engine, one going basically right over the starter and attaching at the firewall, and the other about 8 inches to the left also on the firewall?

So a total of 5 altogether?

Thanks for any help.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dan,

Not sure if you got the answer you were looking for.

There are the two main hoses from the engine to the radiator. There is one small elbow hose from the water pump to the water pump that runs up the driver's side head. There is a small hose that runs off that pipe to the throttle body, another one that runs from the throttle body to idle air control valve, and then one from the idle air control valve to the coolant crossover. Then you have the two hoses that run from the coolant crossover pipe & that pipe from the water pump that go to the heater core.

Five cooling hoses all together you mentioned, I think you you are saying 1. upper rad hose, 2. lower rad hose, 3. thermostat bypass hose (heater core return), 4. heater core inlet, 5. heater core outlet.

That's close but there's still a couple more hidden in there. The IACV/throttle body hoses might add few more. Turbos might have additional also.