Ultimate Subaru Message Board

proportioning valve + rear disk swap (WTB: valve)

This is also my experience. The rear discs are much smaller than the fronts so a PV is not required. The braking is unbelievably improved - in fact since going rear discs I've not managed to lock up the wheels once (you can really hear the tyres working to grip the road) whereas I used to have a lot of trouble with lock up on the factory drums...
..I would assume that you have never driven on snow packed roads or perhaps even icy mountain roads without a PV..then you would know the meaning of your "a*s end" coming around to the front heading in a direction you wished you were not going..I know they stop better, much better,..but there is a reason they added the PV..some countries like mine didn't mandate them while others for ex. England had them on the cars..

• 2 weeks later...

compared to so much understeer when braking that it will physically not TURN at all?Let off the brakes and it will turn just fine..

Granted I would much prefer it to stop straight and true each time without out inducing over or understeer,but sometimes that isnt the case..

Edited by Uberoo

compared to so much understeer when braking that it will physically not TURN at all?Let off the brakes and it will turn just fine..

Granted I would much prefer it to stop straight and true each time without out inducing over or understeer,but sometimes that isnt the case..

yes. Running into something straight on is always safer than hitting it sideways.

¿ :confused: ?

I Believe that Both, Oversteer & Understeer could be Very Dangerous, but Some Drivers learnt to Deal with those Situations, always "Preffer" the one which tamed Better.

I Swapped Rear Disc Brakes on my "BumbleBeast" without changin' anything else, and I even successfully added Rear Parking Brake to those, and I've never Locked a wheel under heavy braking situations with Disc Brake all around; but the Old Drums tend to Lock on Tight & Fast Turns, so Drums tend to be more Dangerous... Specially if they're not perfectly round anymore.

Kind Regards.