Ultimate Subaru Message Board

cheap calipers from rockauto?

depends more on who remanned it. the rebuild kits or seals probably all cost the same or close so I can see where someone could get cores in of whatever quality and rebuild them for about the same price. unless you can see who rebuilt it, or what rebuild kit they used, its pretty much a crapshoot. i actually like the idea of someone who doesnt sell a reman at a higher price than the kit + labor simply because its got a name.

most people have good expieriences with Rock Auto, I would give it a try. Iin fact I likely will, since I have a sticky caliper and I like the price.

I saw the same add.

As I have been told the mfg. have to meet some kind of specifications.

Understand your concern. Vendors have close out specials to dump excess items that don't make them $. Old subaru parts are hogging shelf space.

I think it's a chance to save $. So far Rock Auto has been good to deal with... but yes there are cheap items out there...

I was thinking of getting break hoses all the way around.. mine are almost 30 years old...

Thanks for the heads up. Lots of old stuff on closeout. Picked up a pair of Beck/Arnley rear calipers for my XT6 (using Nissan 200SX stuff)

I've never been let down by RockAuto or Beck/Arnley. These will be my first BA calipers, but I used all BA stuff when I did the rear brakes on my girlfriend's Kia (drums, cylinders, shoes, hardware).

i would run Beck Arnely stuff, I generally favor them for suspension/brake stuff if I don't go OEM. Rock Auto should have nothing to do with it - they're just a distributor. Maybe the stuff has some age or whatever but they've got no say in the quality of the parts.

rebuild kits cost a few bucks (i've bought them as cheap as $3 before) and it takes a couple minutes to rebuild one. a shop set up to rebuild them would take about 5 minutes or less to rebuild a caliper...the logistics, boxing, and keeping track would take longer. they could rebuild 10 in an hour.

EJ calipers are insanely easy and quick - there is only one part - the piston. basically just resealing the piston to the caliper bore.

1. remove piston

2. clean up piston and bore

3. reinstall piston with new seals/dust boot/clip

older EA/ER stuff has to be "turned" on since it's threaded front piston due to the front integrated e-brake, but they're still just as easy, just a little more time.

that is seriously cheap, loaded with pads, pins, new boots, and clips and brackets too?

core charge?

No core charge and was listed as fully loaded. I agree with the poster up above, this old subie stuff moves slow and is taking up room on somebodies shelf. I really like rock auto, it seems that they are a network of warehouses, probably independant of each other. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them in the past and had one order ship from 4 different locations. the amount of stuff they have for our old cars is amazing.

No core charge and was listed as fully loaded. I agree with the poster up above, this old subie stuff moves slow and is taking up room on somebodies shelf. I really like rock auto, it seems that they are a network of warehouses, probably independant of each other. I have ordered a bunch of stuff from them in the past and had one order ship from 4 different locations. the amount of stuff they have for our old cars is amazing.

You just have to watch the shipping prices, as they are a series of warehouses.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't get Kelsey-Hayes calipers. I got a pair, and one of them doesn't fit. The mounting holes on the caliper bracket are too far appart. Same goes for putting the caliper on the old bracket.

The warehouse said they're all the same measurement as the one that didn't fit, and have no idea how one actually worked on my car :confused:

I'd just avoid that brand.