Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hand disc sander.

biffanyus

Buying cheap may not be the bestest.IE Harbor Freight

Once you have a tool, it seems that you end up finding purpose for it.(If your ol'lady doesna find it first!):)

I say plan to go quality.Almost all of the major box stores are going to have several names made by a couple of manufacturers.

I have had Porter cable(used extensively professionally),Makita(home use for just about everything), and my father has had Dewalt, Black and Decker,and Milwaukie.My best friend swares by Bosch.

You can pay anywhere from 40 to 200 for different sizes.

Why do you specifically want a round one?

cheers

Im looking for the small round disc type one for car body work. Not wood work. It has to be electric too. Can you guys be more specific and throw out some makes and also model names or numbers for me to look up. hell or even pics of what you have. Im thinking a small hand held just for small areas of paint striping to remove the rust and for sanding down small patches of bondo filler. Im looking to doing some body work on my brat myself but never really did any before.... Sooo any help is appreciated.:popcorn:

Im looking for the small round disc type one for car body work. Not wood work. It has to be electric too. Can you guys be more specific and throw out some makes and also model names or numbers for me to look up. hell or even pics of what you have. Im thinking a small hand held just for small areas of paint striping to remove the rust and for sanding down small patches of bondo filler. Im looking to doing some body work on my brat myself but never really did any before.... Sooo any help is appreciated.:popcorn:

The way to search is to type in whatever brand name you are looking at and google will do the rest.I mean really, specifics?I have used probably 12-15 different sanders in different configurations.Much less how many years have passed in between, models change like socks in that ever changing world 'o' tool..

For all sorts of different things, from wood to fiberglass, and everywhere in between.I prefer Porter cable, but really like my new Makita.

Technically, you are looking for a random-orbital sander...

Go to a body shop and ask what they would use if it were electric, instead of air.

If you really want to do it right, use hand boards to finish it.

A little round orbital is going to remove alot of material,no matter what grit is used ...Just food for thought.

cheers.

PS.Like I said before, ALL of the major brands are made by like two manufacturers now...

I paid 80 bucks for q milwaukee orbital sander. My choices were dewalt $69, bosch $60, and black and decker $49.

But i already have milwaukee cordless and hand tools, and i live there. If it's a one time use the cheapos will be most economical, but if it is enough work, i have seen them fail after just a couple hours.

If it's a one time use, but you plan to keep it around the house, the black and decker will do, but dont count on it if you use it every day (at work)

bosch is pretty good if the price is a few bucks cheaper. the rest in brand name really comes down to hobby vs professional for what you will want to pay.

I just had a windshield replaced, took advantage of having it out to fix all the rust and rust holes in the channel.

This 10 dollar any-auto-parts-store chuck-it-in-a-drill worked like nothing I have ever seen before, it ate through the paint, the rust, and even the windshield goo, but didn't really grind the bare metal:

2EXZ6_AS01?rect=0,0,630,835&scl=1.102994011976048&id=exmt93

It's like a sandblaster that makes much less mess.

I just had a windshield replaced, took advantage of having it out to fix all the rust and rust holes in the channel.

This 10 dollar any-auto-parts-store chuck-it-in-a-drill worked like nothing I have ever seen before, it ate through the paint, the rust, and even the windshield goo, but didn't really grind the bare metal:

2EXZ6_AS01?rect=0,0,630,835&scl=1.102994011976048&id=exmt93

It's like a sandblaster that makes much less mess.

I have one of these already and a electric drill. maybe Ill just use this....