Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Building 1996 Subaru Legacy GT-B

Im turning my 1996 Legacy L into the Japanese Legacy GT-B. I dont know why they didnt release them in the united states but the GT-B has a twin turbo 2.0 that puts out 247 HP and 227 ft.lbs torque. The letter B in the name comes from the Bilstein suspension.

So, i can get the bilstein shocks anywhere, and i found the engine on the JDM Engine Depot website, but they are current out of stock and i'm snagging one the instant they say they have it.

The other thing is, what do i have to change on my car to run the 2.0? I'm pretty sure i have to get a different ECU, but will it wire up with little effort? I mean, by looking at the pics on the JDM Engine Depot you could swear from the top it looks exactly like the EJ22 and EJ25. http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_engine_details/203/Subaru_EJ20_Legacy_RS_&_GT-B_Turbo_%2811/96%29

Just check the link.

Some other things on my list are the GT body kits and hood, brakes, rims (hopefully easier done then said for the rims) and a rear LSD. Oh, and all the parts for a manual swap, which i can just get from the junk yard.

Oh, and the correct cross member.

Edited by soobie_newbie67

The twin turbo setup is a POS tuning nightmare and never was perfected - thus why Subaru dropped the idea. And in any case it won't fit a non RHD body due to major differences in the exhaust and it trying to occupy the same space as the steering column.

The suspension is not just bilstein shocks and struts - its a whole package with sway bars, bushings, and IRRC adjustable stiffness and ride height. It will cost a LOT to approximate it with aftermarket parts.

Huge waste of time and money losing proposition. Have you ever wired an engine transplant?

99.9% chance this never happens.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

Dayamn. Well yeah since you tell me all that now. :/ well ************. My dream down the tube :( and I've done wiring harness swaps. I have the money for it too. Guess I'll settle for that clean ej22t at the junk yard. Half the price :)

Can't thank you enough GD. You've saved me thousands by stopping my shenanigans xD

Edited by soobie_newbie67

I don't think your dream went down the tube. Contrary, now you have even more money to put where it counts on your build. Read a lot on here about what others have done and listen to the advice. You could do a single turbo, or a frankenmotor, ect. Just change the plan a little bit and do it :D

Dayamn. Well yeah since you tell me all that now. :/ well ************. My dream down the tube :( and I've done wiring harness swaps. I have the money for it too. Guess I'll settle for that clean ej22t at the junk yard. Half the price :)

Can't thank you enough GD. You've saved me thousands by stopping my shenanigans xD

GD is 100% correct on the TT idea.

Many have done the EJ22T/EJ20T swap using a WRX (re)harness or other ECU tuning method (piggy back/stand-alone ECU, etc.) to Subaru's during the Subaru USA's 'non-turbo era' of '95-'02.

Read this AMAZING thread on a Legacy GT transformation for inspiration and ideas, which is very similar to a '96.

There are many more....remember the Impreza shares many of its parts w/the Legacy and RS25.com is another good resource.

Td

Edited by wtdash