Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't open tailgate (Legacy 1991, EJ22, Station)

Ok, here's the story: Since the handhold of my tailgate (opener) was really rusty, I decided to replace it with one from a donor car. That was no real problem, but I forgot to adjust the opener (that metal rod), so I couldn't open the tailgate after closing it. Ah, things happen...

Anyway, since I haven't reinstalled the cladding yet, I could easily open the tailgate from the inside. I then adjusted that metal rod and tested the opening several times. No problem, everything works fine.

So I decided that it would be time to reinstall the cladding am make everything looking nice again. That was a mistake!

The next day, I couldn't open my tailgate when I try to and since I can't reach the necessary components from the inside now, I have no clue how to open it.

Does anyone have an idea how to open that tailgate? Except from destroying the cladding ;) That would be my next approach when there is no alternative...

Thanks in advance!

If you can't get the cladding off, you could try drilling hole with a hole saw through the cladding so you can at least reach in there to unlatch the tailgate. Then you can just get a round rubber plug or something to fill the hole. That would probably look better than completely destroying the cladding.

I was able to work that plastic off from inside the car on a June day. I was sweaty and pissed but I didn't break it. I didn't get it all the way off, just worked it down from the window and reached into the ranthor pit of sharp steel and found the lever and pulled it too it popped open

Edited by Ricearu

• 4 weeks later...

So, today was the big day, after fixing my exhaust, I finally managed to open that tailgate again. it was the rather uhm ultimate solution with drilling a hole in cladding, nothing else worked. But now it's fixed :)

Next things to do: front axles, ball joints, track rod ends and brake pads (perhaps also brake discs) ;) And installing the LPG equipment :D How nice that there is always work to do :D

Edited by stickedy