Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Quiet Riot. My 87 GL-10

AKghandi

So this is a long and mystical story about a boy and his subaru.

It all started almost exactly one year ago, i purchased an 87 subaru GL-10 ea82t

with 240k miles a "rebuilt" engine and a 5 speed dual range. It was in decent shape but it needed work. The interior and body were pretty nice, and the engine ran smooth so i payed him $500 and drove it home.

But when the guy i got it from put the dual range in he didn't switch the rear diff or the front c/v's so i needed to find a parts car..

which i did, the exact same parts car the P/O had used. so i set about switching everything from the rear diff to the c/vs, interior pieces locks and ignition. and i also got the original hatch from the gl-10 with a bad window. and a set of 86' egg hole alloys

After that it went smoothly for about 4 hrs. then i noticed the very distinct symphony of bad wheel bearings.

so i went about replacing the front passenger side, and when i was done.. still made noise. so i replaced the drivers side, and it went away. then i figured well why not do the rears? so i did.

After that there was a complete tune up and some new suspension peices like ball joints and tie rods. and i also replaced the fart pipe with a stock muffler. whisper quiet.(hence the name.i was torn between quiet riot and white noise)

I drove it like that all winter and put roughly 6k miles on it and it was a blast

Then the intake pipe and maf acted up. leading to a loss of employment,

so i sat on it for a while then i decided to sell it in april.

And now 6 months and 1k miles later i got it back!!!:clap: and i made a profit lol

Right before i sold it i got the original hatch and a good window put back on and wired up, EVERYTHING works. from the cruise to the trip computer

heres the hatch it had on it when i got it

img0098kv.jpg

But the guy i sold it to decided he didnt like it the way it was, so he mounted some 2003 wrx seats in the front, got rid of the carpet in the back, and threw away the rear headrests. and he took the amp and subwoofer out.

So that brings us to the present, its got some new issues and a few minor problems but im looking forward to getting my baby back in shape.

onto the pics!/

this is how she looked when i sold it. which is the same but cleaner lol

img0110yk.jpg

img0109wi.jpg

img0112dw.jpg

and heres how she looks today, i scored some more pugs yesterday, for $170 with almost brand new studded tires.

img0393rj.jpg

img0394zy.jpg

i also have these for after i get a lift and some N/A 4x4 wagon springs and struts.

img0397bc.jpg

and now some recent developments, she has developed an antifreeze leak, Im about 90% sure its just a turbo line or heater core hose. if it were the head/gasket i dont think it would be pooled on the head or sprayed on the spare tire. at most it might be the intake manifold gasket.

img0395te.jpg

This has become a book so i'm going to stop here and update as i go.

thoughts, comments, opinions, jokes, anecdotes?:D

Edited by AKghandi

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah im a big fan of oldies jim croce, don mclean, queen, heart,neil diamond,ACDC aerosmith pretty much anything that was made before i was born.:D i'm the oldest 19 year old you will ever meet.

in other news i figured out and repaired the antifreeze leak, the small hose that goes from the intake manifold to the TB was split so i got a piece from the garage and put it in and all is well.:clap:

Edited by AKghandi

since my car came without the scissor jack, i have that big hole next to the washer pump... and its packed with every diameter hose that a subaru needs from 3/16" vacuum line to 5/8" pcv hose. i leave hoses, hose clamps, and zip ties in that nook, and tow straps and ratchet straps in the opposite side.

never hurts to have it in the car, and if anyone ever makes fun of how much hose you keep in the back of the wagon, just remember that when their coolant hoses pop on the side of the road, and laugh twice as hard at them.

Im wayyy ahead of you!

i have 2 front cvs, timming belts, MAF, starter,random hoses, brake pads, wipers and alternator. Theres more i cant remember but you get the idea..i just didnt feel like using my spares that i have so carfully packed into various compartments so i went into the garage and found a piece of hose that worked perfect.

Ive had my fair share of mechanical mishaps so i have learned to be over prepared.

(i also have all my tools in my car, but this is a subaru fourm so its assumed) :-p

Edited by AKghandi

Seafoamed the car today. idles a little smoother and doesn't ping as much

smoke show was a lot of fun nothing too crazy. there were a couple smoke rings but couldn't get a pic of the elusive buggers..

img0399l.jpg

img0400b.jpg

up coming plans: change rear struts and front c/vs that will happen tomorrow.:clap:

yeah, i always keep at least one spare cv, a fuel pump and an alternator. not as worried about the starter, because i can typically roll start the car, unless offroad.

i think subaru designed the trunk space to be packed with spare ************ and tools. :headbang:

you should check the ignition timing, see how far it might be off if the car is pinging.

it only pings at low rpms from a stop, and only very slightly. i have checked and double checked the timing plugs wires cap rotor and coil.. it just does it i guess.. it doesnt do it at higher rpm so im not too worried about it.

and i think tomorrow if i dont get sidetracked ill swap the front and rear struts and the front c/vs.

mine is a turbo so it sits lower than the N/A cars. so im going to swap them with an 88 4x4 sedan i procured for parts.

but i feel like theres a difference between wagon and sedan rear struts.

anyone have that info?

i also discoverd that seafoam works really well for bringing back dried plastics like door handles, not sure how long it will last but it looks good.

So i thought I'd try seafoam on some more plastics, logically it should work perfect. seafom is pure petroleum, plastic is made from petroleum.:brow:

I'm not sure how long it will last yet but it looks good!

heres the pass side door handle before and after.

img0401rn.jpg

img0402hv.jpg

It worked so well I thought I'd try it on bumpers and trim(they were a little dirty)

img0403.jpg

img0406yl.jpg

img0405vr.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the results, I"ll up date after i wash it to see how the shine holds up

I didnt get the rear struts swapped, i got to looking at my parts car and one was leaking.

but i did get my hill holder working and my brakes bled, i forgot what good brakes were like :D

Thats all for today, it was 22degrees out today so I wasnt as productive as i would have liked.

not like anyone reads this lol:-p

i seem to remember the spring rate being different, but I am by no means a computer whiz so me and the search function don't get along lol.

Ive got one used strut/spring from a sedan to replace the one thats leaking in my car but im worried that when i switch it in the car will sit crooked.

even with the rear fender wells being rolled about and inch the rear tire still rubs. its annoying.

im going to put it in later today and see, even if it does sit crooked atleast its easy to switch back.

when i get some cash ill get some 2wd wagon rear struts and some 4x4 wagon springs.

First drift of the year!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDiOco8ettA

Sorry about the quality all i have for video is my ipod.

Think i could be a rally driver?

what you cant see is the left foot braking and clutch work. its hard to keep a car sideways without a rear ebrake..

Edited by AKghandi

Good news everyone!

my insurance has blessed me with $400.:clap::clap::clap:

bad news. i think i caught the FLU, its pretty bad.

BUT when i get better im going to get my lift sorted out and replace my rear struts and maybe some new speakers.:headbang:\\

stay tuned.:D

SO, funny story.

I think my car has a personalty, in fact I know it does.

I pulled in front of my uncles mobile home at an angle, so the back corner of my car was ever so slightly in the dirt road, and the front was almost to the tongue of the trailer.

Then an old lady drives by and pulls right next to the back corner of my car and starts screaming at me! "YOU GOING TO MOVE??? huh you STUPID kid!??" I thought to myself "why is she yelling at me? there's plenty of room for 2 cars to pass each other why do I need to move?" so instead of getting angry, I waved and proceeded to move my car just to appease the crazy lady, so she would go away.(its not just me, everyone's afraid of her)

I go to turn the key, CLICK!!CLICK!!! so I got out and pop the hood to mess with the battery connections(never happened before, they are/were tight)

Then she got all red faced and speed off.:clap:

My car stood up for me!!:cool:

That has got to be a first!.:headbang:

And it started right up after she was gone.:burnout:

In other news not much has happened with the car. But I'm starting to feel a lot better so the next week should be pretty busy.:D

Jezsek, ya i rarely comment due to the textbook-like nature of your stuff. its hard to believe all that comes out of one brain. and so detailed as well... you are one of the main reasons i came to settle here on usmb.

AK, well done. danger and irresponsibility aside of course lol. no flaming from me, but to "rally" is to accept such things. i love a good snow drift:D

RV

It was 11 am on the first snow fall. Everyone who had to go anywhere was already gone and normal people don't go out on the first snow fall unless they have to, so I was pretty confident there wouldn't be any traffic.:D

Don't worry, just because I'm 19 doesn't mean I don't think about what I'm doing. I still do it , but at least I thought about it first!:lol:

I happen to have a parts 4x4 sedan sitting at my brothers house, I'm not sure how the front struts are but i know one of the rears is leaking. If you can bring your old struts back so it will be rollable your welcome to them. I'll even help you get them off.

I also have that lower corner trim piece for the rear door on your GL-10. I'm going to take them off my wagon once my lift gets here so if you want you can grab that too.

Heres the sedan, its an 88 with 159k and a 5spd D/R, came with a set of pugs too!.which I'm hoarding lol

img0369lv.jpg

I knew you would ask that:D

the transmission seems pretty good, although i only drove it once. it did shift smooth through all gears and there were no odd noises. the mounts are either completely shot or they are unbolted, but since it has a bad clutch and the PO said he tried to do the clutch, im going to guess they are unbolted. it also came with a brand new clutch disc and pressure plate, if you need those too.

let me know when you want to do this, the car needs to go soon though.

we can pull the struts where it sits and the trany should be easy enough.

Edited by AKghandi
extra words..

Well my new rear struts got here:D.

img0027od.jpg

So I thought I would install them:headbang:

Then I discovered the passenger side, top 2 strut bolts are fused to the car.

No amount of heat, or Deep Creep did anything.

img0029nf.jpg

Now, most of my 1/2" drive 17mm sockets are broken, and one of the bolts is rounded because the socket split...:horse:

I'm at a complete stand still...:banghead:

My thinking cap is on, but I am very open to suggestions!

The first and most available option is to drill it out. But would I be able to get at it from the back?.. Maybe I could heat the welded nut, then spray the bolt with air in a can to cool it? Then turn it with some vise grips..... Hmmmm much thinking to do..