Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what am I missing

finally got around to pull the engine on the justy. for some reason i can only get the block about and inch/inch and a half apart from the bellhousing. the engine will pivot from rad support to firewall and i have tried several different angles for the lift. :banghead: is there something I'm missing?

Yeah, is it manual or auto trans?

With mine (manual), I removed the bolts/nuts that join the engine to the bellhousing but still had to carefully use a prybar to seperate them both.

I jacked up the transmission a little to put it on an angle but I found it was the engine mounts that stopped me pulling the engine further away from the tranny. I couldn't lift the engine/trans assembly high enough so the mount-to-crossmember bolt would clear the hole in the crossmember.

I had to unbolt the engine mounts from the engine and then it came away easily.

When dropping the engine back in, sit the mounts on the crossmember and loosely install the nut. Then lower the engine back in and align up the mounts as you go.

it's a manual,the only thing that i can think is do i have to pull the clutch fork? i didn't think u had to do that when seperating the two but i have never pulled one with a manual before. i took the six bolts out of the pressure plate, or atleast that's what i think it is, by going throught the starter hole and rotating the engine over. any ideas?

You don't need to touch anything on the clutch to pull the engine. Have a good look around the engine and see if anything else is physically stopping you pulling the engine away from the tranny ie. the engine mounts.

Otherwise, carefully use a prybar with some rags/wood to seperate them.

i got it, it was getting hung up on the trans mount. when i had the car up in the air i never thought it would be a problem. the fsm just said to drop the support rail, nothing about the trans mounting bracket. thanks all for your input.