Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Intermittent Violent Engine Shaking

I don't understand though: how could it be the drive shaft if there is no significant torque on it? I can be travelling high speeds without issue, it's dependent on load, which the rear drivetrain is receiving none of.

When you put load on it that is when it is taking the most stress and shakes.

Your DOJ on the cv axle is split and as far as anyone knows it has been for a long time. It is most likely shot.

Just give the cv axle swap a shot. If it turns out to be something else (unlikely) at least you wont have a torn boot anymore.

Okay, I think I was getting driveline confused with driveshaft. And yes, I think that sounds reasonable. Should I bother trying to reboot it, or should I just replace it? And is this something I should replace it pairs, or can I just replace one axle at a time (I don't care about time under the knife, I'll only replace both if replacing only one will affect safety or accelerate wear on another part.)

Okay, I think I was getting driveline confused with driveshaft. And yes, I think that sounds reasonable. Should I bother trying to reboot it, or should I just replace it? And is this something I should replace it pairs, or can I just replace one axle at a time (I don't care about time under the knife, I'll only replace both if replacing only one will affect safety or accelerate wear on another part.)

Doing one side on;y is fine. You might want to do wheel bearings and maybe the ball joint on that side too while your in there.

• 3 weeks later...
This is very different than a diesel.

I think you have an axle issue.

Shaking under load = CV axle on it's way out

This is exactly what happened to me on a trip. The CV on the trans stub was wobbling around at 80mph. Sometimes it would align and feel smooth, then I'd hit a bump and it would start to shake.

This was on an MWE axle, with 5000 miles on it, btw.

• 2 weeks later...