Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 outback 4 cylinder replacing 2 injectors on passenger side

I took my outback in with misfire codes... they told me I have one bad injector and one cracked one both on the passenger side... they said they are the most expensive injectors they have ever seen and its gonna be about $670 (I am already into them $85 for diagnostic fees) to replace both... I am concerned because I told them to order the injectors and they are gonna do it tomorrow...

I took my outback in with misfire codes... they told me I have one bad injector and one cracked one both on the passenger side... they said they are the most expensive injectors they have ever seen and its gonna be about $670 (I am already into them $85 for diagnostic fees) to replace both... I am concerned because I told them to order the injectors and they are gonna do it tomorrow...

I wouldn't do that at all!!

Folks here will have some for sale. And you can just replace the whole fuel rail easily.

Also that is a VERY RARE problem to have, with one injector, let alone 2 on the same head.

I'm wondering if it was diagnosed accurately. Or if the last person in there caused the damage.

how much does the whole fuel rail usually cost? and would you just recommend replacing both then?

Edited by Noclue

Call Subaru and ask them how much it would cost to replace two fuel injectors, they can answer that on the phone (don't tell them what you got quoted!).

Not sure why it's costing so much, Subaru injector removal only takes a few minutes:

http://www.witchhunter.com/subieremoval1.php4

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/11Fuel_VacuumLine/SubaruFuelInjectorRemovalAndInstallation.pdf

i'm with dave, no way i'd pay that much money for fuel injectors. i would check and make sure somewhere else can't do it much cheaper, sounds like it should cost less than half what they are quoting. Eat your $85, you at least got a diagnosis for it so it's not wasted money that would have taken an hour or two to track down...so you got your $85 worth. Move on.

Sorry one more thing i probly have 20 of those injectors if yours are bad

Only problem is I am in a bit of a bind... I have already done plugs, wires and checked the coil but nothing... I know the injectors are bad at least one for sure because when they were "diagnosing" it they broke it in half... the one they broke wasn't the one I had been having problems with but they just said it was cracked already so they won't take responsibility for it... I called around and found a place that will do it for about 150 cheaper... the bind I'm in is it is our only vehicle so I need to get it back up and running asap... its also past due for an emissions test... the cheapest injectors I have found that I can get soon are $130 a piece... they already have the injectors out ... is it pretty easy to put the new injectors in? I somewhat know what I am doing and I am good with my hands and at following direction so if its not too much I'm sure I could do it myself... most places I have talked to it sounds like they are charging about 170 in labor...

Edited by Noclue

Call Subaru and ask them how much it would cost to replace two fuel injectors, they can answer that on the phone (don't tell them what you got quoted!).

Not sure why it's costing so much, Subaru injector removal only takes a few minutes:

http://www.witchhunter.com/subieremoval1.php4

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/Pending_Content/Engine_Conversion/11Fuel_VacuumLine/SubaruFuelInjectorRemovalAndInstallation.pdf

i'm with dave, no way i'd pay that much money for fuel injectors. i would check and make sure somewhere else can't do it much cheaper, sounds like it should cost less than half what they are quoting. Eat your $85, you at least got a diagnosis for it so it's not wasted money that would have taken an hour or two to track down...so you got your $85 worth. Move on.

Thank you for the info! So by those links it looks pretty simple to replace them... they already have the old injectors out... should I just see about buying some myself and finishing the job?

Hm that image looks like it is for an older like maybe '94ish soob, or possibly a turbo? I pulled the injectors on 2000 Outback. I don't remember it having those retainers with the screws like that but I think I have seen that on my '94. Getting them out was a little tricky but not too bad. It's like the fuel rail plugged in on top of them. That was the hardest part, wrestling the fuel rail out of the way. Putting them back in wasn't too hard.

The funny thing was I had ordered new genuine o-rings. On two injectors I used the genuine o-rings, on the other two I used what Witchhunter sent back, which looked to be the same size as the genuine. The genuine ones were OK, the ones from Witchhunter sucked air around the injectors while idling, for some reason they just wouldn't seat properly.

$670?!?! Where the hell are they getting parts from? That's just plain robbery. Subaru List price is $132 each. $270 for 2 injectors at full OE retail price. They don't need 5 labor hours to replace 2 injectors.

And they broke an injector and are now saying it was already cracked?! Injectors break when you pull on the connector with a pair of pliers because you don't know how to pop them out of the rail without using brute force. These are not that difficult to remove. Somebody doesn't know what they're doing and is trying to cover their own tracks. Get your car away from there. Take it to another place for a second opinion. I wouldn't give them a dime.

$670?!?! Where the hell are they getting parts from? That's just plain robbery. Subaru List price is $132 each. $270 for 2 injectors at full OE retail price. They don't need 5 labor hours to replace 2 injectors.

And they broke an injector and are now saying it was already cracked?! Injectors break when you pull on the connector with a pair of pliers because you don't know how to pop them out of the rail without using brute force. These are not that difficult to remove. Somebody doesn't know what they're doing and is trying to cover their own tracks. Get your car away from there. Take it to another place for a second opinion. I wouldn't give them a dime.

Yeah pretty ridiculous huh? So I ended up getting it towed to another shop who did the job for much less... definitely was the injectors... she is running like a champ now and I haven't had any issues yet...