Ultimate Subaru Message Board

4 Little Subbies sitting in the trees

ing016.jpg[/img][/img][/img]RUSTING !!!But no more.My daughter wanted for her "forever car" to be a 1984 gl wagon like her first car.Smart girl........So i got to thinkin where to get one.Hmmmm I do have a friend who has a 2 84's in his back lot. "Well sure you can have them ,Good to see them on the road again" Oh Yea!!! So we jamed up there and there they were,right on the edge of some "woods" with one in the woods and just it nose stickin out.I'll get a shot of that..So the first one was a yellow 84 GL wagon.Oh did i say they had all been sitting there since 2004... So I put 3 gallons of Ethel in the tank and a spash in the carb and ....Bingo,she fired right up.but the throttel was stuck ,the only we could move it was to use a long screwdriver and a hammer to "adjust it.We ended up using a tow bar on her to get it home,but with some PB Blaster and some messin with i got it workin good... Its got 172,000 on it..moss and mold everywhere.Hey we live in the GreatNorth Wet !!(West) Hey ,thats Why they call it the "Evergreen State"...I think with a good cleaning and some filters she'll be a runner...#2 is a 1984 GL 10,with the eltronic dash.Are these as solid as the regular GL's? Please let me know how they fare out.Are they worth the time to go through or they like the turbo's?? So it has 177,000 on it. Again some fresh gas in the tank a bit into the carb......Fired right up!!!! ..I love these cars!!!!the dash guages are not doing much. but its running great.. I drove it home about 10 miles and the brakes were draging and will need some attion.I am going to get the 1982 gl wagon with the covitid 3rd eye this saterday. I didn't even take the time to check it out as I was still trippin on the ones we just got running. Both of them have rust issues along the bottom of the doors,not the doors but the body under them..So i will get back with the low down on the 82.He also has a rusted out Green 1974?wagon.It would be good for parts.I'll get back with some shots of it.There's no paperwork but could be had for $50 bucks. So I will get back with more adventures.C ya,ToddC:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\2012-10-21, new subs[/img] So I guess I don't have enough something to post pictures or am i doing it wrong.I couldn't find a phote album on my statictics to download them to....Help??? Edited by old sub freak
need to study up on loading pictures,Got it??

sounds awesome! i love finding subarus in the woods and making them come back to life. there are hundreds of subarus that drove to their final rusting place out in the woods here, if you watch any of the alaska shows on discovery you would see quite a few :-p

as for the pictures go to imageshack upload them in the size for message boards then get the "direct link" copy that, then in the reply box click on the little mountain with a sun in the reply tools. if you hold your mouse over it it will say "insert image". paste the direct link into the box that pops up and hit ok. its that simple lol

now get us them pictures!!:popcorn:

ing016.jpgDid it work??:banahttp://http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5329/newsubs006.jpg[/img]na: http://imageshack.us/a/img845/1419/newsubs002.jpg [/url] http://imageshack.us/a/img831/8328/ing016.jpg I think i got it ????? I think? http://imageshack.us/a/img27/5329/newsubs006.jpg The green brat in my daily driver since 1996!!! I love it,Had to show it Edited by old sub freak
Just stumblin through...

Its the green one.. Any special shots ?On the way home the dash lights were off.Once i got it home and was letting it idle checking things out the dash gauges came on but didn't make sence.Then the next day they come on and its alright.Guages making sence. So I'm hopeing that its a contact and I will never have trouble again...haha.I am a hopeless optimust though...So any bits of info that would help would be great. I need to replace a froze up caliper on the drivers side. Do those need to be replaced in sets.Or can you just replace the one? Hey thanks for posting the pictures,Hey I'm still learning.Happy Trails,Todd

Hey Toddman: Those 84's are a "Picker's gone Subaru" type of find for sure. I've been driving the wheels off the 88 GL 4WD wagon you sold me. I use it for work and pleasure all the time. It's got 223K on it now and still running good. It's a forty mile daily round trip to work and I'm getting great gas mileage. I am still stuck as to why the check engine light is consistently on? I'll have to put on my thinking cap and figure it out. :confused:

A small piece of black tape will fix the check engine light... haha,Well my daughter wants one of them ,probley the GL 10,unless it turns out to be trouble with the fancy dash..My wife is wondering about the yellow one as well.It all depends how they clean up and how they run.So far ,so good...Can't wait to see what the 82 with the 3rd eye looks like.hope it isn't to rusty.wonder if it will be a full pull and get all 3 running without too much work....i bet it will. thanks guys

Edited by old sub freak
spaced

A small piece of black tape will fix the check engine light... haha,Well my daughter wants one of them ,probley the GL 10,unless it turns out to be trouble with the fancy dash..My wife is wondering about the yellow one as well.It all depends how they clean up and how they run.So far ,so good...Can't wait to see what the 82 with the 3rd eye looks like.hope it isn't to rusty.wonder if it will be a full pull and get all 3 running without too much work....i bet it will. thanks guys

Gee......why didn't I think of that?

It's a good thing we don't work at NASA. Ha Ha.

Its the green one.. Any special shots ?On the way home the dash lights were off.Once i got it home and was letting it idle checking things out the dash gauges came on but didn't make sence.Then the next day they come on and its alright.Guages making sence. So I'm hopeing that its a contact and I will never have trouble again...haha.I am a hopeless optimust though...So any bits of info that would help would be great. I need to replace a froze up caliper on the drivers side. Do those need to be replaced in sets.Or can you just replace the one? Hey thanks for posting the pictures,Hey I'm still learning.Happy Trails,Todd

You can throw a caliper on one side if the other is still good.

Yes .I changed out the caliper ,new rotor and new pads. put some premeuim in the tank and away we went...The guages read like they were spossed to and went down the freeway like a champ.Yea Mark ,Lucys got her claim on "Sardi"..Looks like I will have to wait on the 1982 with the 3rd eye till next weekend.i tried to contact the owner but it was a no go.Hopefully soon.i can't wait to see the whole thing.All I saw was the nose sticking out of the brush!!Be paient....It will happen.....:banana:http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3958/newsubs009.jpg

Edited by old sub freak
old

the 82 wagon is a turbo charged ea81t which there only were roughly 1000 made, the ea81t brat only had 300-500 made, and the sedan im not sure, but anyway very rear wagon

And why do you say that?

Just because its a GL-10 and has a digi-dash doesnt make it a EA81T.

so does this have the ea82t in it? i didn't think it was being produced in 82, i guess someone could have put the gl-10 emblem on the back and put the ea82t in it

Go check out the Subaru's of the 80's area brochures section.

In 1983 the GL-10 was a GL with luxury stuff. Lots had Velour interior, extra speakers, power mirrors, and a few other goodies. Sometimes a Digital Dash, etc. The Turbo's are 1983.5 to 1984.5 models. Your estimates on the number of Turbo cars is probably wrong too-I have had at least 5-7 of these cars over the years and own 2 now, as well as have seen quite a few. They can't be as rare as the numbers mentioned.

so does this have the ea82t in it? i didn't think it was being produced in 82, i guess someone could have put the gl-10 emblem on the back and put the ea82t in it

Not all GL-10's are necessarly equiped turbos. And unless someone thought it'd be funny to put an EA82 in place of an 81, it should still be an EA81.

Sorry Shawn, didn't mean to post what you just said again... Im on my phone

Edited by BratRod

Yea there is no turbo here.Just a pushrod 1800 with black valve covers,Just like that Idaho one had.Wonder if that means anything...It has cruze and i'll see what else shows up.It has a real different clock set up. Hmmm I think there is a owners manual AHhh Yes it does.I just ran out there and there and there it is.A very detailed one at that.Shows re- tourqueing the heads and valve adjusting,a page or two about that special clock..It a TRIP Computer !! I have to read up on this, I'll let ya know about it. C Ya Toddnick

I'm trying to patiently wait for some under bonnet pics of the donks - when will these be available?

I love pics, not having a dig at you but I personally think the more pics the better!

It'll be great to see these back on the road again!

Cheers

Bennie