Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 Lowering!

Hi, I've had my GL10 EA82 sedan lowered for some time now on Honda Civic Sleeves and I'm sick of the bouncing. I really want to get some nice coilovers to fit to my stock setup but I would be willing to mod the tops if necessary.

From what I've read and heard two things can be used...

- What SuberDave did, modified a '05 Legacy coiloverkit to his GL. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

- Mazda MX-5 Coiloverkit.

I found cheap Raceland ones, I know it's not the best product but hey, gotta start somewhere ;)

Here is a link to those coilovers:

http://www.racelandus.com/coilovers/mazda-coilover-kits/mazda-miata-mx-5-na-coilovers.html

Seems like I could mod the top on two in the rear and in front cut the bottom off and stick the strut into the stock hub.

Any advice and thought are greatly appreciated!

- Kristjan

Edited by KristjanJohann

Suberdave's GL has a five lug swap, if you were willing to go that route the fronts could be an EJ front coilover setup (not 100% sure of year range) and MX-5(Miata) rears from what I understand they bolt right in and allow for lower than you can get with sleeves on stock EA rear struts.

as far as if you could cut the bottom of the front MX-5 coil-overs and fit them into the front knuckles, you might get lucky... but you would probably have to get them in hand to see if they fit.

Ben

Suberdave (and I) used 05 Legacy on the rear and 02 WRX on the fronts. This is if you have done the 5 lug swap.

The WRX stuff will bolt right up if you have a 87.5 MY and up. You need to do some work to fit the 05 Legacy bottoms . Remove the capture nut then drill the hole bigger so the bolt will fit thru. The top hat needs to bolt to the EA82 mount, so the bushing cup needs to be removed.

I'm using BC Racing adjustable coilovers which are a little cheaper than some of the other major brands out there and are just as good.

Edited by Turbone

Suberdave (and I) used 05 Legacy on the rear and 02 WRX on the fronts. This is if you have done the 5 lug swap.

The WRX stuff will bolt right up if you have a 87.5 MY and up. You need to do some work to fit the 05 Legacy bottoms . Remove the capture nut then drill the hole bigger so the bolt will fit thru. The top hat needs to bolt to the EA82 mount, so the bushing cup needs to be removed.

I'm using BC Racing adjustable coilovers which are a little cheaper than some of the other major brands out there and are just as good.

Curse having an 1986... Do I even need to ask what the mods are for one of these or is it more :Flame: haha

I'm currently working on the rear setup but '08 and newer Impreza chassis use a similar multilink rear suspension like the Legacys since 2000. I have found that the lower hole in the factory WRX shock for the rear is the same size as the EA82 bolt so no modification needed there. I'm still waiting for a couple bits to arrive before I assemble them and install them into the XT6:brow:

I'm planning on keeping my stock wheelhubs, I have 3 sets of redrilled 6lug rims with 195/45R15 tires mounted ;)

Pic of one of the rims inside my Mazda 626 '81

250068_10150201295087263_594156_n.jpg

Does anyone have any pictures of their setup? With or without the 5lug swap.

Edited by KristjanJohann

• 11 months later...

What is it that causes the bouncing, the crappy Civic rated springs that come with the kits, or the lack of travel in the strut cartridges?

If it's the springs, Ground Control sells coilsprings in different lengths, diameters, and rates.

Its the super stiff spring rates on those EBay kits, if you want a good set of coilover sleeves from a civic that will fit, id recommend Ground Control. I had them on my Civic before i got Function Form Type 2s