Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ditsy full of oil

This has happened to me twice now in my 87 Gl-10. Be driving along just fine and when the car would get under a substantial load (head wind or big hill) the car would start to sputtered then fully cut out. Problem was the ditsy had filled up with oil, and fouled out the electronics inside. I've taken it apart and cleaned it, but I want a solid fix. Not just a clean up. I'm not sure what causes this, but my finger is pointing at high crank case pressure? The motor is from Japan. And the first time it happened was 200 miles after I put the motor in. Second time I know for certain I had a ring landing blown! Is there a replacement seal I can get for the ditsy shaft? I am trying to steer clear of spending 200 on a reman.

Thanks!

Check your PCV system. Most likely the hoses are clogged up and creating back pressure. I know theres a o-ring on the disty, but thats so oil wont come out where the shaft goes in the head. I think theres a filter of some sort on top of the shaft, but I dont think it will keep a large amount of oil from coming thru.

There should be a notch in the distributor shaft, just below the housing, for a large O-ring tht encircles the shaft. Perhaps that O-ring is missing.

He's getting oil INSIDE the disty, not weeping out around the outside of the shaft.

You see, oil is supposed to be wicked up around the spinning part of the disty shaft, to lubricate it.

In this case, the oil is wicking all the way up the shaft, and past the seal inside.

It is possible to remove the shaft from the disty and reseal it (in theory, don't know where you'd get the seal)

That said, I agree with Turbone that it's probably a PCV issue. If your PCV isn't working properly, Boost pressure will push oil out all kinds of places.

Is there a vacume advance ? ruptured diafram have a bunch of ea82 disribs magic eye or magnetic pu ?

87 GL-10 would be MPFI, probably turbo.

Oil in disty wouldn't affect magnetic pickup of old carb distys.

He's having problems with the "magic eye" type......oil blocks the light passing through slots.

Could be worse, could be a Nissan KD24, or an Isuzu gas 2.6.....they use the same disty guts, mounted sideways coming out the head. They have this problem very often.

Yes it is a 1.8t mpfi. O ring on the shaft is new. I replace stuff like that every time it comes out for good measures. It is the "seeing eye" type distributor so no vacuum lines to worry about. I just completed a full bearing out build so everything is sealed up as it should be. Have not got all the intake stuff put back on it yet. Doing that this weekend. It could be the pcv system... I had to fab my own up due to the changes from usdm to jdm. If I recall correctly the passenger side breather goes directly to my catch can. The driver side comes off the breather to the factory jdm long plastic tube thing that runs along the block behind the intake... One outlet of the tube goes to the pcv valve and the other to the connection on the backside of my spider intake. I would post a picture but I'm stuck up in Seattle right now. But hopefully that kind of creates a good picture of what I'm working with.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats the problem dich the catch can is junk the pcv syestem pulls fresh air in on pass side pulls it truogh the engine and out the ds side and to the pcv valve. If you have a catch can on the pcv intake side you will not get the fresh air coming into the pcv circut. The pcv is like a circle its a sealed syestem and uses meshured air cant have any leaks and all air must go thrugh the mass air flow senser put it as close to stock as posibble. your engines pcv is probly not sealed and can not put the engine under vacume so oil looks for away out