Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

rear stabilizer link question...

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 24 October 2012 - 04:37 PM

1999 OBW
Recently replaced rear shocks (one was broken)... still have the clunk noise... I can see daylight around one of the rear stabilizer link bushings... (I imagine the others ain't too good either)
So, the question: can the bushings be repaced (with too much trouble) or just replace both links?
btw... already 181 & 1/2 k on the vehicle....
Thanks for the input.
Later,
Peter

#2 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:14 PM

They can be replaced moderately easily. If you want a really solid ride, you can go with Group N bushings, or just replace with OEM.

http://rallispec.com...rt_stibush2.htm

#3 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:57 PM

I guess I wasn't clear (that blow up helps a lot)... I'm asking about the links that are shaped like (parentheses) yeah those things.... I was told they're called rear stabilizer links but maybe not...
later,
Peter

#4 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 24 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

You mean these guys:

Posted Image

Those are your sway bar end links. Better just to replace those, no sense in monkeying with the bushings.

http://www.ebay.com/...7c1ee96&vxp=mtr

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,859 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:12 AM

Stabilizer bar = sway bar. Or more accurately, anti-sway or anti-roll bar. Same part different name. Links, end links, joints, end rods, all the same idea.

I don't know if you can buy just the bushings separate from the links (havent ever looked), but the plastic does deteriorate with age and can break, so its usually better to just replace the link.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,825 posts
  • Texas

Posted 25 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

you might be able to get a Kartboy or Whiteline 'upgraded' after market for about what new resin (that's what we call plastic nowadays cause it doesn't sound cheap and wimpy) links from Subaru cost. They might be slightly noisier.

I recently had a reason to check into front drop links due to an on-going 'discussion' with Geico about hidden (actually concealed) damage from a wreck in 2011.

#7 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:56 PM

I ordered the links as per "cal_look_zero" & they're do to me Monday or Tuesday... I am also on the look out for an impact wrench to help do the job (although I may just be using a nice ol' breaker bar)...
that's the story so far.
Thanks for the advice/help, gentlemen!
later,
Peter

#8 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

You shouldn't need a breaker bar. They're just 12 or 14mm nut and through bolt. I'd say jack the car up and soak the threads and nuts with PB blaster so it can soak in for a day or 2.

#9 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,890 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 29 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

Super easy to do with just hand tools really. If you need any help, shoot me a PM and if you're close, I could help out.

#10 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,352 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

the end links are usually loaded when in the air and on the ground. at some point during the transition from up to down, or vice verse, the bolt holes will line up with almost no load.

finding that point makes the job much easier.

#11 J A Blazer

J A Blazer

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 365 posts
  • Fairfax, Virginia

Posted 30 October 2012 - 09:19 AM

Important point is that the in order to remove these endlinks, there can not be any torsion on the antisway bar at the point when you try to remove them.

#12 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:33 PM

how do I achieve that? Do I need the jack/stands under frame or under suspension?

#13 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,825 posts
  • Texas

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:25 PM

I would think with the entire rear on jack stands, any slight offset after one side is connected could be lined-up with a floor or scissor jack under the 'low' side to lift it slightly (be careful). But I haven't done it yet - but that is likely coming up soon. Long story but, if Service King doesn't install my Kartboy links on the front sway bar, I'll do it when I get my car back.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 01 November 2012 - 03:25 PM.

#14 cal_look_zero

cal_look_zero

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 612 posts
  • Grass Pants, OR

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

I changed out my whole RSB for one from a WRX. Just jacked up the rear and put stands under the pinch welds on the body. Unbolted the 2 clamps holding the bar to the body, and the whole thing swings out. There's not much (if any) tension on the bar when the wheels are off the ground.

#15 later, Peter

later, Peter

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 217 posts
  • Pacific North West

Posted 01 November 2012 - 03:38 PM

just came back in from seeing if I could undo without the "zapgun" (which I could). & I placed a floor jack under the rear bar where it hooks into the link... too easy. NOW if those parts would get here! UPS where are you?
later,
Peter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users