Ultimate Subaru Message Board

rear stabilizer link question...

1999 OBW

Recently replaced rear shocks (one was broken)... still have the clunk noise... I can see daylight around one of the rear stabilizer link bushings... (I imagine the others ain't too good either)

So, the question: can the bushings be repaced (with too much trouble) or just replace both links?

btw... already 181 & 1/2 k on the vehicle....

Thanks for the input.

Later,

Peter

You mean these guys:

$(KGrHqNHJC0E7y7f0RKJBPhcPYEPNQ~~60_35.JPG

Those are your sway bar end links. Better just to replace those, no sense in monkeying with the bushings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SUBARU-REAR-SWAY-BAR-STABILIZER-END-LINK-SET-/120657669782?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A1999%7CMake%3ASubaru%7CModel%3ALegacy&hash=item1c17c1ee96&vxp=mtr

Stabilizer bar = sway bar. Or more accurately, anti-sway or anti-roll bar. Same part different name. Links, end links, joints, end rods, all the same idea.

I don't know if you can buy just the bushings separate from the links (havent ever looked), but the plastic does deteriorate with age and can break, so its usually better to just replace the link.

you might be able to get a Kartboy or Whiteline 'upgraded' after market for about what new resin (that's what we call plastic nowadays cause it doesn't sound cheap and wimpy) links from Subaru cost. They might be slightly noisier.

I recently had a reason to check into front drop links due to an on-going 'discussion' with Geico about hidden (actually concealed) damage from a wreck in 2011.

I ordered the links as per "cal_look_zero" & they're do to me Monday or Tuesday... I am also on the look out for an impact wrench to help do the job (although I may just be using a nice ol' breaker bar)...

that's the story so far.

Thanks for the advice/help, gentlemen!

later,

Peter

I would think with the entire rear on jack stands, any slight offset after one side is connected could be lined-up with a floor or scissor jack under the 'low' side to lift it slightly (be careful). But I haven't done it yet - but that is likely coming up soon. Long story but, if Service King doesn't install my Kartboy links on the front sway bar, I'll do it when I get my car back.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan