Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Whats better push button 5spd or D/R 5spd?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 smotocon1

smotocon1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Washington

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:39 PM

I looking to replace my tranny with a 5spd but witch is better to get the dual range or the push button 4wd 5spd? the dual range doesn't come with a rear diff but has 90,000 on it. The push button comes with the rear diff not sure what it is yet but both tranny and diff for $25 bucks!!

#2 soobme

soobme

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,871 posts
  • Medford OR

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:45 PM

That depends, is this an off road project, or a driver? If it's a driver I would go with the PB tranny, if it's an off road rig then I would go with the DR tranny ALLTHEWAY! Wheelin' is no fun without low range ;)

#3 archemitis

archemitis

guy smiley

• Members
  • 3,554 posts
  • the big minnie

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:47 PM

Dual Range Forever!

#4 smotocon1

smotocon1

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Washington

Posted 02 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

The dual range is $150. Is that high? and do I need a differant center console?

#5 mr.radon

mr.radon

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Seattle, WA

Posted 02 April 2004 - 07:09 PM

I paid $50 for the D/R I got. No, the cutout is the same, but you will need a new boot for the shifter and a D/R cover. took a week or two till I found onw in my color (gray). Go with the D/R - Push buttons are for weenies....

#6 XSNRG

XSNRG

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 3,657 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:41 PM

Go with the dual range. the low range is nice to have and no vacuum crap to mess with. I have one for sale for $75. I'm in Olympia.

#7 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 02 April 2004 - 11:10 PM

Dual range, my brother. Much better to have direct control of your shifting with a lever than to push a button and hope for no electrical gremlins. And when the roads are impossibly slick, lo range will get you through, even if you don't offroad.

#8 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:44 AM

I say Dual all the way, you never know when you might need that duel range to buck it up to a good make out spot. JK

I like it because you know when it is in 4wd or when it is not.

Plus if this is going on an 84 or lower you would have to wire in the push button and place the valves and run vaccum dohikies easier to just pull a lever and be done with it.

Just make sure that you can find the center consol that matches your interier.

Good luck

#9 Caboobaroo

Caboobaroo

USMB Drunk

• Members
  • 6,880 posts
  • Oregon City

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:14 AM

yeah I have to agree with everyone. Dual range baby YEAH! Even if you don't take it off-roading, you can still use the lo range to spank those little honda freaks with the fart cans, wings, lights etc. off the line:D

#10 rallyruss

rallyruss

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 1,653 posts
  • San Jose CA

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:23 AM

it sucks having any plus size tire with a PB trans(no low range). and I agree that when you really need 4wd and you push the little button you are relying on a lot of electical and vacume devices to do a verry valuable task for you. I have a PB in the wagon and I wish it were a DR like the RX has.

#11 moosens

moosens

Psychotic Subathusiast

• Members
  • 1,268 posts
  • Bridgeport CT

Posted 03 April 2004 - 01:50 AM

D/R all the way.

#12 Flowmastered87GL

Flowmastered87GL

WCSS Drunk

• Members
  • 6,118 posts
  • Portland, Oregon

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:38 AM

Dual range!

Nothing is more reliable than a lever to engage the 4WD... I've had enough doubt with 4WD working or not with my 86 turbowagon (the light didnt work... sure the button was down, but I didnt trust that enough)

The low range is excellent for descending hills in the snow. I ran in low range for hours/miles at a time delivering pizza with near bald street tires and the compression braking kept me in line (unlike how brakes would ... or wouldn't rather)

#13 mr_whirly

mr_whirly

Subarus

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Royersford, PA

Posted 03 April 2004 - 12:59 PM

Oh yeah, the D/R is one of the best features of the older subarus. My SPFI D/R wagon is the reliable winter car for me. I was lucky enough to snag a D/R tranny from an RX in the jy recently, hope to put it in my turbo wagon soon...

#14 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,754 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 03 April 2004 - 02:32 PM

D/R, theres no way around it dude, its just that much better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users