Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Whats better push button 5spd or D/R 5spd?

I looking to replace my tranny with a 5spd but witch is better to get the dual range or the push button 4wd 5spd? the dual range doesn't come with a rear diff but has 90,000 on it. The push button comes with the rear diff not sure what it is yet but both tranny and diff for $25 bucks!!

Dual range, my brother. Much better to have direct control of your shifting with a lever than to push a button and hope for no electrical gremlins. And when the roads are impossibly slick, lo range will get you through, even if you don't offroad.

I say Dual all the way, you never know when you might need that duel range to buck it up to a good make out spot. JK

I like it because you know when it is in 4wd or when it is not.

Plus if this is going on an 84 or lower you would have to wire in the push button and place the valves and run vaccum dohikies easier to just pull a lever and be done with it.

Just make sure that you can find the center consol that matches your interier.

Good luck

it sucks having any plus size tire with a PB trans(no low range). and I agree that when you really need 4wd and you push the little button you are relying on a lot of electical and vacume devices to do a verry valuable task for you. I have a PB in the wagon and I wish it were a DR like the RX has.

Dual range!

Nothing is more reliable than a lever to engage the 4WD... I've had enough doubt with 4WD working or not with my 86 turbowagon (the light didnt work... sure the button was down, but I didnt trust that enough)

The low range is excellent for descending hills in the snow. I ran in low range for hours/miles at a time delivering pizza with near bald street tires and the compression braking kept me in line (unlike how brakes would ... or wouldn't rather)