Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Replace one caliper or both?/Ceramic pads?

Time to replace the front breaks on the 96 OBW. One of the calipers is sticky so it needs to be replaced. I will put new rotors and new pads on while I am at it.

The car has 152K. Replace both rotors or just the one with problems? The other one works fine. BTW the car has ABS ( but don't all Outbacks?) Calipers are about $50 each in my neck of the woods. Does anybody elses neck of the woods have better deals?

Recommend ceramic pads? $56 for the front set from TireRack.

New front rotors, new ceramic pads, new calipers and make this the last breakjob on this car? First set of pads lasted 75,000 miles and this set with 77,000 is still ok it is just the stinking caliper. Rotors are SPENTas they were turned at 75,000 so these are the original rotors. I think I got my $$ worth!! The rear breaks are fine.

Your thoughts?

Greg

Calipers start to stick because they are corroded on the inside with rust that prevents the piston from moving freely or not at all. Brake fluid absorbs water from the air and inside the brake system it corrodes the calipers and brake lines. The solution is to flush and replace the brake fluid every 3 years. So, if one is sticking, they are all not too far from the same state. It is your decision to make, some would only replace the one, others replace them all. I do my own brake work and I'd pop the pistons out of each caliper and clean the pistons and the bores, and if they cleaned up well with no scoring or leaking seals, I'd not replace any of them. If one or two were scored or corroded past what I felt was marginal for safety, I'd error on the side of safety and replace it without hesitation. As far as ceramic pads are concerned, were you unhappy with the performance or the OEM pads that the car came with? If not, why use something else? If you feel you need more whoa, then try them. Some of these high performance pads squeal, make far more brake dust, and wear down rotors faster. I'd get some more feedback before I changed them over.

About 4 months ago my passenger side caliper was seizing on me. One of the pistons would lock up and not move. It tore up the rotor bad. If I have to replace one side I have to replace the other, thats how I always was and always will be. Brand new or not, I wont have to worry about it in the near future. I went out and got 2 refurbished calipers from a Subaru dealer. I also got 2 new front rotors by Power Slot and Carbotech Bobcat brake pads for the front and back. While I was doing the brakes I figured I get the Goodridge S/S brake lines. I still need to put on the rear lines, but my brakes work 10 times better.