Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'84 auto brat, gone nuts

Here's the story, see if you can pick out some sense to this:

Seemed like the neutral switch was out.

After I pulled the tranny cover and looked it over I forgot and left the key turned on. Looked at it after work tonight, and realized what I had done, the battery was worn down, so I set the charger on it, and turned on the ignition,

A loud buzzing came from under the glove box, the wipers came on (the switch was off), what the hell (am I allowed to say hell? new board rules?) happened?

I'd like to figure that out. Then see if I can figure out how to bypass the switch until I can find one for a reasonable price. Subaru wants 145.00 for one.

I know this sounds rambling, sorry. Any ideas?

This is typical of my mechanical abilities, cluster.....

Scott has thesolution for the switch. As far as the buzzing when charging. That is typical of a high amperage charge. Best to keep it under 10amps. I usually try to do 2 amp trickle charges, when I remember to charge ahead of time.

ok for the buzzing, what do you think set off the wiper motor?

on bypassing the switch there are four wire, two light, two heavier. I'll try cutting those, like you said,if that doesn't work I'll try splicing them together. thanks, dp

you'll have to splice them together. the shifter in P is what connects the 2 together, i believe it the set of most forward wires. black with yellow strip maybe. larger guage.

when I was messing with mine, I forgot I had been messing with the shifter, and I left it in D, and used the starter under the hood. oops... I held the brat back as long as I could, and it just crunched into the stuff ahead of it when I made the dash to get in and stop it :)

Hey Mick, if'n you were under the hood, jumping the starter, why didn't you just pull the coil wire when you realized it was in drive.

I did this in the turbo, as the switch is funky in it too, started with my bypass wire under the hood, forgot to put it in neutral (or park, I'm used to driving manuals). Bad thing though I was parallel parked on the street, I pulled the coil just in time, luckily my legs weren't pinned too bad.

good idea Adam... never thought about the coil wire. I was at the left front corner, so it was all right there... I did pull the battery cables off (even though I know you're not supposed to... I have quick disconnects on the batt cables) obviously my alt is working well :)

Well i decided to bypass it, tied the two heavier guages together. Made sure my son understood to be careful. So we're back on the road, and hoping to acquire another one soon.

I appreciate all the help. thanks, dp

'78 brat

'84 brat