Ultimate Subaru Message Board

xt6 high beam q

Anybody know the set-up for the high beam switch on an xt6? The highs come on when I pull back the lever but won't stay on when I release it. I know they are supposed to flip flop with each pull but these don't. Is there a relay or do I need to replace the switch itself?

Thanks, Brad

My 89 XT6 is pull back once for high beam, pull back again for low beam. If lights are off and you pull back, you will momentarly flash the high beams. If lights are down (retracted, they first have to open before the lights come on. Do a short pull with lights down and all that happens if the lights pop up then go back down.

My XT6 has one little quirk with the high/low switching. I have to slightly push the directional lever in towards the steering column before I pull back to toggle low/high. If I just pull back, they will go to high, but they will not go back to low unless this inward pressure is applied BEFORE I pull back. Sometime need this inward pressure to get high. I just do it all the time. It is not a lot of pressure. I just toggle with the tip of one finger, so it actually toggles that easy. Just in BEFORE back. Someone here had mentioned something about lubing, removing and cleaning of such with this switch, but I don't have that much problem the way it is. (And it's been this way going on 4 years now, that I know of.)

I don't remember the push for low and pull for high on my 88 wagon. Did it do that? I know the Explorer works this way, but don't remember it in any of my Subes.