Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I went and looked at a 1998 Legacy

and it sucked.

Engine made a whining noise when you accelerated...power mirror didn't work...clutch was weird...smelt like oil after driving it a bit.

70,000 miles...$6500.

I am sad now...5 speed Subarus are really rare it seems...anyone else notice that?

Actually I think 5sp Subarus are more common than other manufacturers. Subaru owners tend to be drivers and drivers like manual transmissions. Frankly this is one of the reasons I was surprised the H6 didn't come with a manual. The salesperson said something like, "When you get into upscale cars (30K) you won't find any 5sps). I thought yeah right that's why you can get a 5series BMW with a manual.

BTW, IMO all Subaru clutches are weird...mine has had a mysterious catch in the pedal stroke for the last 60K. And the oil smell...well we know what that is.

6500 seems like a nice price for a 2.2 with only 70K...must be a sedan?

yep...sedan.

Inside was clean...rear bumper was really loose and crooked and some paint missing on the pass. side...looks like someone bumped into them.

I really would like another 1995 Legacy L...i'll have to keep looking.

• 4 weeks later...

If I was not going to get a Subaru, I would look at a 99 on Golf, Jetta or Beetle with the TDI diesel. They have extremely good economy and very good power. You have to find someone that has the special tools for the timing belt repair. The early cars needed a new belt at 60k miles and the 01 on is good for 100k miles.