Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I was driving my 97 outback 2.5,and the heater started to blow cold air instead of heat.The temp gauge started to climb so i got out and saw that the overflow reservoir was overflowing.Hope you guys can help me.

Thanks,

Collins

you should do a search on this board for overheating. You could be looking at a internal leak of your head gasket, the main thing you don't want to do right now is run the engine to the point that your heads warp, you may have avoided this by not running the engine very long after you noticed a problem. You also may have built up enough pressure in the cooling system to blowout some coolant, so you should check the level, and as soon as you can, get a professional mechanic to check for exhaust gases in the antifreeze--a sure sign of a blown head gasket. These 2.5's have a strong tendency to pop gaskets.

My thanks to you guys.I was afraid of that,I have noticed oil leaking.And to make matters worst I had head gaskets replaced last year due to same kind of problem.I just did'nt think they would fail again.What can be done to prolong the life of these gaskets?

Collins

My thanks to you guys.I was afraid of that,I have noticed oil leaking.And to make matters worst I had head gaskets replaced last year due to same kind of problem.I just did'nt think they would fail again.What can be done to prolong the life of these gaskets?

Collins

I heard that air pocket in cooling system does bad things to heat transfer, causing the engine to partially overheat. Partial overheat will make the head *temporarily* warp, gives head gasket a chance to blow. There is a tool that purges air while coolant gets into the cooling system. Here is one example.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mit4700.html

I will either get my car serviced at a shop that has such tool or buy the tool and do it myself. Or even install air purge kit in my car, if someone tells me how to do it. (Search the forum with 'aircraft' for this information) But that's just me. A lot of people believe that there's something wrong with the water path/head gasket design in subaru engine.

Question:

Where did you get your last cooling system service (or any service that requires cooling system bleed/refill) done? If it was a dealer, shouldn't this failure get covered under warranty?

Since Subaru has choosen to remain largely mute on the subject of 2.5L Phase I head gasket failures, I feel free to engage in admitted speculation. Several posters have reported finding ovalized piston holes in the failed head gaskets of their Phase I engines. This may indicate that the cylinders themselves are vibrating!! The 2.5L is an "open deck" engine, and the block is essentially a bored out 2.2L block. Let's say that the 2.5 Phase I engine block had been bored out pretty much right up to it's engineering limit.

Well, given normal variance in materials and manufacturing tolereances, SOME of the engines might have been overbored. Bottom line, too little metal for the engine to remain dimensionally stable. For those engines that were margianlly overbored, new head gaskets and tighter head bolts might just provide that slight touch of additional stability that is required. For those engines at the other end of the manufacturing curve, the really overbored engines, probably no permanent repair exists. Hey, some 2.5L Phase I engine owners have reported that they are on their THIRD, and even FOURTH set of head gaskets.

If your head gaskets have blown again, and the original head gasket replacement was done properly, I would not be a happy person. There is a possibility that the engine can not be permanently repaired. I guess you figure the expense and inconvienance of head gaskets replacements vs. the number of miles, or years, between replacements.

Believe me, I am truly sorry that you are in this unpleasant situation. Due solely to dumb luck, I waited a year and bought a 99 Forester. Had I bought according to my usual replacement schedule, I would have purchased a 98 Forester with the Phase I engine. I live in the Deep South, and shortly, when I replace my present vehicle, I believe that I may just make do without AWD.

Let's say that the 2.5 Phase I engine block had been bored out pretty much right up to it's engineering limit.

I'll go you one better on the definition. I'll say that an engine that blows head gaskets with the frequency of the 2.5 is bored well OVER it's design limit (for safe or sane production methodology anyway). "Limit" being defined as the point at which reliable operation ceases.

While I have no doubt there are mechanical issues, did anyone look at the issue of coolant?

I am aware that GM cars have lots of overheating problems due to the "extended life" dexcool coolant (orange). Some people reported blown HGs.

Apparently, this coolant produces sludge when exposed to air in the cooling system. Switch to conventional green coolant without very extensive flush is also bad with dexcool.

See also:

http://www.nbc4.tv/automotive/2369813/detail.html

While I do not know what coolant was in my 2000 Legacy from factory, it was orange. As a matter of fact, I just rinsed some orange sludge from the radiator cap at 45000 miles, 15000 miles after coolant was changed by the dealership.

BTW, they used some green stuff at 30000 miles, is the Genuine Subaru Coolant green?

So, my point is, if Subaru uses dexcool or similar coolant, this may contribute to the problem.

This whole thing is starting to really get to me.I called my Sub. dealer yesterday and told him I'm on my 2nd HG in 2 years and what they can do for me."Well," he said" I have heard some questions about these engines.Why don't you call 800# and talk to rep.and I'm sure they can help you".I did call and got no where.What can we do as a group about this design flaw?

Thanks for all your help,

Collins

This is good, very good; people with HG problems should be very vocal about it.

Remember recent Toyota engine sludge!

Only maybe 1 in 1000 cars was affected, yet Toyota owners raised so much noise (mass media, internet discussion groups, etc) that Toyota had to come up with extended warranty to save the image.

I just went on the

http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/

and there are very few posts Re: Subaru HG (41 posts total on Subaru).

Compare with 15000+ posts on Toyota.

People outside this forum are generally not aware of the HG problems (I was not before reading here).