Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Disconnecting AC compressor

Aside from the obvious legal/environmental issue, is there any reason a partially charged AC compressor should not be removed from the car, without being properly purged/collected first?

I'm aware that there's a great amount of pressure involved in the lines, but when disconnected with the proper protective measures, is this a big deal?

Before I upset anyone, I'd have this done legally and correctly if the circumstances permitted, but they just absolutely do not. We're talking about an '87 n/a GL, btw.

Thanks,

Drew

all i can say is dont get it on your hands, or breath it. not that i would ever take one off, but in theory, it would be better to loosen the large tube side first since it is low psi side. i would guess long wrench. or something. if it was already empty it could be recharged with r134a may already have been converted, if so it will have what looks like a med quick connect on the low side. blue capi think. but venting the gas is not legal and i'm not telling how to do it except in theory.

I'm supprized that no one will empty it, be sure to let them know that you don't intend to refill it, i can't think of any car place that would turn you away, they get to charge you and they get some free R-12 which is expensive to get.

I'm supprized that no one will empty it, be sure to let them know that you don't intend to refill it, i can't think of any car place that would turn you away, they get to charge you and they get some free R-12 which is expensive to get.

I'm sure I could find someone to purge it, actually, but the problem is that the car's got a blown head gasket and 5 quarts of milkshake-style oil and I'm not moving the thing for any reason at all until I get new gaskets on it and at least have a good hard look at the heads :)

--Drew

I've watched a few AC systems purged before. One had QUITE a bit left as it spout a nasty white vapor for a good 2 minutes. A quick cut to one of the soft lines and step away for till its done purging. Do this out in the open. Not in your garage or any sort of enclosed area. The draw backs are that it is indeed a seriouse health hazard and air pollutant; however the choice is yours.

When I removed my system the AC was shot. I put a screw driver on the little purge valve... made a PFFFffft noise (less then 1 second) and that was it. Didnt even see a trace of coolant or oil purge. Everything else was unbolt, unplug and toss asside. There is a lot of junk plumbed in and removing your ENITIRE AC system can really clear out that engine bay. Also removing the condesner from the front of the radiator lets the radiator breath a little better.

Good luck :)

Do not let the freon out into the atmosphere.

Also please do not post on the board asking how to do something illegal.

You have the option of unbolting the ac compressor and moving it to the side of the engine bay while still leaving the hose connections intact. Do that, repair the engine, and then when the car runs again have the system purged or recharged.