Ultimate Subaru Message Board

adjustable wheelbase?!!!!?

I have 32 11.50 tsl sx swampers on my 1981 ea81 subaru. I have a 6 inch custom lift. I have figgured out how to adjust the wheelbase, to keep tires from rubbing cab/doors. I have had it set up this way for a while (about one year) ok here goes. If you take the radius rod off, trim the outer part of the bushing on back side of the bracket towards the rear of the car, not the front one

( leave the part of the bushing that sits against the bracket)

. Then you will have space to move the radius rod back and fourth inside bracket. then you can use large (i think 5/8) washers to push the front wheel forward a little. It will need to be re-alined after wards. youll see what i mean. only tighten rod at the bushing side enough to take out slack. Also if you do this, double nut the radius rod for saftey. I have drove with this mod for over 11000 miles so far, and had no problems, I have cheched them a couple of times in between and found no abnormal wear. any questions?

Below where you reply you have an area "Additional Options."

Find the manage attachments button and click it. Then it pops up a window that has a browse button where you can search your local computer for the file you want to post.

well maybe, but for about 10k miles i havent had any problems. at one time i had about 5 washers in there with my other wheels that were offset more up to a couple of months ago. i am not saying that everyone has to do it, it is just something i have done. just wanted to show it to others that may have a problem with their tires barely rubbing their body.