Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil filter housing spring and ball bearing?!?

Ok, help me out here.

ABout three weeks ago, I changed the oil in my EA-82 wagon.

I immediately ran into issues with lifter tick. This car had ZERO problems before.

I spent several weeks trying various "fixes in a bottle" including heavy weight oil, MMO, and the like. I experienced varying degrees of success, but it would still occur.

Going crazy trying to figure out the culprit, I swapped on a new filter. It helped things quite a bit, BUT THE LIFTER TICK WAS STILL THERE, and prior to the oil change, this car had no issues.

So today, I decide to bite the bullet, and replace the water pump, timing belts, and oil pump seal, figuring that the real culprit was there, and that the fresh oil just knocked some sludge loose that was masking the issue.

When I take the skidplate off, sitting on top of it in all the sludge is a nice ball bearing. I am quite surprised to see it there, and place it aside.

Then, a few hours later when I get the oil pump off, I look at the oil filter housing to see a spring in a pocket I had never noticed before. Lights go off, and I realize that the ball bearing probably goes in here?

Is this it? Is this why I am having issues? How is this supposed to be assembled?

When you remove the oil filter, there should be an oil passage in the center of the flange (with the screw thread), an oil passage on one side, and a small ball bearing that seals the end of another oil passage.

I have never seen behind this ball bearing (you can push it in to squirt cleaner down the passage) but I imagine there is a spring behind it and if this particular valve has failed, or falls apart, you will most likely need a new oil pump assembly (it is apparently a non-repairable valve because it's built into the assembly).

I would find another oil pump assembly to use. Clean it up real good and check there's no scoring of the various oil passages. Also remove and check the oil relief valve (yes, another valve) that is located behind a bolt on the opposite side to the oil filter. I would suggest buying a new spring to make sure it's working properly.