Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 LSI Wagon ??? looking to buy

Hello all, I am looking to add another roo to the fold. I found a 93 LSI Wagon for sale and had a few ??.

The car has 154,000 miles and looks to be in good shape.

It is an automatic, what years were the trannies bad in the legacies?

Also it has the Height control system, I have had this on a 2 of my GL-10 that I have had before, are they as problematic on the Legacy models?

What kind of mpg can I expect with this combo with an automatic?

Thanks

Assuming the car has been reasonably taken care of, the car is barely sucking its thumb at 154k. The 4EAT tranny has proven to be more sturdy under abuse than a 5MT, so it should be fine assuming maintenance has been done. I have a truly pristine example of a 91 Legacy with not even 130k miles yet, and it runs so perfectly you would think it's a brand-new car.

The air-ride is a nightmare for any car. It's doomed to failure right off the showroom floor. If your shocks haven't collapsed already, they 1) will very soon or 2) have been replaced. My XT has air ride and it has been replaced. Fortunately, you can convert it over to conventional suspension simply and cheaply.

Legacies aren't great on mileage, I'm afraid. I've gotten below 20mpg average in my 4WD 5MT sedan, Yours being a heavier wagon 4WD auto might be even worse. But I've gotten as much as 25mpg average. Just depends, really.

You might wanna check out the Legacy BBS for 1st-gen Legacy owners, we've covered every topic exhaustively there, so TONS of info is available...

Great to hear that.

I have a 5spd right now with 110k and love it, like yours it drives like new. This one has all options including leather and height control. I am going to look at this this evening so just wanted to know if they autos were solid.

I am getting nearly 30mpg here in Colorado with my 5spd, so I am hopeing that the auto will get like 26ish highway??

They are not asking very much for this car so I figure it would be a good buy even if it has a few issues since the car itslef is soo clean.

Well talked to the guy today about the car and he says it needs tires and that the if you do not drive it the air suspension will bottom out after a week or sitting or so and then as soon as you start it up it will go back up and be fine.

Is this normal for these? I know my GL-10s never did this but just wondering if this is a first sign of future failure?

How much to convert to normal suspension, ie shocks, struts?