Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My ’98 OBW has annoying squeaking (note: squeaking, not belt squealing) under the hood. I’ve tightened the belts—no change. I’ve replaced the a/c belt (the alternator belt is in good shape)—no change. It appears to come from the pulleys, not the belts. Any ideas how to stop the squeaking? Could it be due to over-tightened belts (they’re tight, but I’ve tried to leave slight deflection when pressed hard by finger).

Jamie: Interesting. Throw out bearing on clutch. That hadn't occurred to me. That could be it. It is sort of a chirping sound. My wife says it sounds like I have a bird under the hood. It only seems to happen when the car is in neutral.

If it is the throw out bearing, is it something serious or only an annoyance?

Maybe that's another reason to pull the engine over the summer and change the clutch, replace the rear main seal, and check the valve clearance. I can't stand having my car sound like a heap when idling in traffic.

i had the chirp you describe (via your wife), and i braced the clutch cable bracket by wiring it to a solid part in the engine. this lowers play on this bracket, which makes clutch a bit stiff, but i couldn't stand the squeak. i may be doing damage with this jury rigged fix, but the clutch is still fine. bet you can silence it if you pop the hood, kick up the revs with one hand (hear the sqeuak increase in volume and frequency), and hold the clutch cable mounting bracket with the other (to silience the squeak). let me know what you find.

Had a similar noise on my 97 OBS. It was the water pump bearing. If you need to replace your timing belt soon have them check/replace the water pump too. Saves you the expense of pay for labor twice and these pumps only last an average of 80-100K anyway.

I have never seen that on a Subie but I have on other vehicles.I had mine done when I had the major service done so I hope never to see it.

How does one diagnose that? Take off the cover and run it with a stethascope or just pull the timing belt and look for play and leakage?