Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Champion spark plugs

Champions work great in lawnmowers and,... um, ... I guess that's about it. When I foul one out on my 4 wheeler, I'll use a champion to get out of the woods, but then an NGK goes right back in at home. NGK's in my subie, snowmobiles, motorcycle, 4 wheeler, chainsaws,.... I swear by them.

Just what Northguy said. I used Champion in the far away past. The isolators are/were thinner than most and you could actually crack them just by installing them. I use Autolites in domestics and only NGK's in all imports.

Yeah, I've heard that the Champs were not good for our Subes, but didn't realize that advice came from the FSM.

I always use NGK's in Subes and other imports. They are excellent plugs, and cost about the same as other "standard" grade plugs.

The Bosch Plats seem ok to me too, but I've heard others trash them. They are probably overated for the price.

John

Champion was a good company until the mid 1980's when they were bought by another corporation. Their R&D department was, for all intents and purposes, shut down and they were really bad about proper heat ranges, etc. Since then, they were bought by Federal Mogul (mid 1990's?) and now they make a good quality spark plug once again. In fact, they make a lot of specialty plugs for other manufacturers. HOWEVER, I still wouldn't put one in my Subie! NGK all the way for me!

I've run both NGK and Bosch Platinum, and I can't tell any difference, so I switched back to NGK at the next change and have run them ever since. Haven't ever tried Champion, since my cars, snowmobiles, four wheelers, outboards and scooter have all called for NGK.

Just wondering, what does NGK stand for?

one of my subes came with autolite plugs. changed em out not long after getting the car.

I had autolite in an old datsun 210 when I first bought it as well and it really made a difference with a new set of NGK as well.

there is another use for champion plugs. Chrysler products like them. They can actualy set codes if you run something else. I see it at work on our fleet vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hmm, dead thread. Let's pump some life back into it...

I installed Bosch Plat. +4s (sp?) in my '93 Legacy L last summer. This partly because I am a newbie at DIY and I did not feel like causing a FUBAR by mis-gapping the plugs. Anyway, the car runs fine with plenty of power and acceleration. However, my mileage has taken a nose dive from 30+ to about 24 MPG. That seems to be somewhat of a consensus among other postings in this forum; the Plat. +4s increase fuel use. Am I doing harm by keeping these plugs in or should I swap them out for some plain coppers at my earliest opportunity?

Checked the FSM and it says to "never use champion plugs for spfi models." just a thought, there was a debate a while back on what to use, it looks like they came from the factory with NGK's

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

NGK VPOWER.

thats all i have to say