Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi everyone...

Glad I found this website, hope someone can help me...

I noticed today that my fuel lines are leaking from what seems to be the top of the tank..( I assume this because it only leaks when the car is running and I am very low on gas...)

I cant get to the lines about the fuel tank..and I want to avoid dropping the fuel tank...(Which I dont have the know how to do..)

So I am wondering, if I can simply disconnect the fuel lines from the sending unit(under the access panel) and at the side of the fuel tank (near the back tire on the drivers side of the tank) And snake a rubber hose from the sending unit to the spot I disconnected it on the side of the tank....

I dont know if you know what I mean...But I do! :)

My worries are:

Than there is more than just a fuel line from the sending unit to the side of the tank....

That I wont be able to figure out which lines are which once I get to the side of the tank...

And blowing up!! But at this point...its not as much a worry as a hope

any advice would be great!! thanks

Chris

by the way: I have a 1993 subaru legacy 4wd

• 4 months later...

Hi Chris,

I just picked up a '93 Legacy wagon, and the previous owner had the same type of problem. The mechanic who worked on the car didn't know about the access panels, and went through the trouble of dropping the tank. He repaired a leaking hose and replaced three clamps.

Two years after the repair, she said that she only fills the tank halfway, because it was leaking again. I will have to check this out, and let you know what I find.

k9rei (Howard)

1993 Legacy RHD Wagon

Hi everyone...

Glad I found this website, hope someone can help me...

I noticed today that my fuel lines are leaking from what seems to be the top of the tank..( I assume this because it only leaks when the car is running and I am very low on gas...)

I cant get to the lines about the fuel tank..and I want to avoid dropping the fuel tank...(Which I dont have the know how to do..)

So I am wondering, if I can simply disconnect the fuel lines from the sending unit(under the access panel) and at the side of the fuel tank (near the back tire on the drivers side of the tank) And snake a rubber hose from the sending unit to the spot I disconnected it on the side of the tank....

I dont know if you know what I mean...But I do! :)

My worries are:

Than there is more than just a fuel line from the sending unit to the side of the tank....

That I wont be able to figure out which lines are which once I get to the side of the tank...

And blowing up!! But at this point...its not as much a worry as a hope

any advice would be great!! thanks

Chris

by the way: I have a 1993 subaru legacy 4wd

Hey Howard...

I ended up running three new hoses from where the access pannel is, on the drivers side(there are 2), to underneath on the drivers side of the car...I didnt want to take the tank off, so I used high pressure fuel injector hose..Took a bit of time cutting the 3 metal fuel lines seeing as you have less than 2 inches with the first one and about 3/4" for the last...

It has now been awhile, and i havent had any problems with the fuel lines...Ive asked 3 or 4 mechanics and they all tell me that if they had fixed the fuel lines "correctly" it would have cost as much as 500 dollars...I say...for 500 dollars, Ill fix it my way, $12.42...

Good luck with yours...but I believe, if it leaks with a full tank, and not with a 1/2 tank...it is more likely a hole in the tank somewhere...fill the tank 3/4 of the way and climb under the car...Look at the seam of the tank..(where the tank connects to itself)

Or with a 1/2 tank, find a hill...pull up the hill and see if the gas leaks out the back of the tank..and then back up the hill and see if the front of the tank leaks...

chris

Hello Chris,

Excellent suggestions on trying to find the leak. I will let you know the results.

Thanks,

Howard

Hey Howard...

I ended up running three new hoses from where the access pannel is, on the drivers side(there are 2), to underneath on the drivers side of the car...I didnt want to take the tank off, so I used high pressure fuel injector hose..Took a bit of time cutting the 3 metal fuel lines seeing as you have less than 2 inches with the first one and about 3/4" for the last...

It has now been awhile, and i havent had any problems with the fuel lines...Ive asked 3 or 4 mechanics and they all tell me that if they had fixed the fuel lines "correctly" it would have cost as much as 500 dollars...I say...for 500 dollars, Ill fix it my way, $12.42...

Good luck with yours...but I believe, if it leaks with a full tank, and not with a 1/2 tank...it is more likely a hole in the tank somewhere...fill the tank 3/4 of the way and climb under the car...Look at the seam of the tank..(where the tank connects to itself)

Or with a 1/2 tank, find a hill...pull up the hill and see if the gas leaks out the back of the tank..and then back up the hill and see if the front of the tank leaks...

chris