Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mix and Match EA Parts

I have been noticing referals to using EA71 pistons and rods in an EA81 block and using the EA81 crank. What is the final outcome.? Do the pistons stick up above the deck of the block? Is there a chance of valve/piston "kissing". I am working on an SPFI engine using the EA81 platform. I want to get as close to the EA82 SPFI engine numbers as I can or maybe even exceeding them. I will lighten the flyswheel as well. I am using heads that have the EA82 intake valves installed in them and will be having Delta Cams, in Tacoma, grind a bump stick for me. When this is all done I am going to put it in my 1983 Red Wagon.

I would play with a Turbo set up as well but that would mean that I would have to change my custom built exhaust. I do not want to do that. It flows too darned good to do that. Thanks for the input.

Part of what you have heard is ture. People do put EA71 pistons into an EA81 Block but they do not use EA71 connecting rods, there is a difference between the journal diameters. There is not any risk of the pistons hitting the valves with this configuration and the pistons do not extend past the deck of the block.

let me know if you ever want to sell your Yugo with the hot engine,l`ve always wanted to build one of those.
Do you know where the "red mark" on the Yugo temp guage is at? I have had the speedometer needle sitting on that. It will cause a 5.0 Mustang to wonder what is wrong with his car when you sit beside him at 100mph is a Yugo. Life is good sometimes. haha