Ultimate Subaru Message Board

79 brat lock troubles

when i was working on my car and getting the broken fog light off i disconected the fuse so i wouldn't kill myself with expoding halogen bulbs or anything... so to make sure i put the key in and turned on the lights to make sure there was no power... ok so out of habit i pop the hood to get to the wiring and lock the door behind me:banghead:

i get them off and think of what a great job i did after using the wiring from the fog lights to go to the reverse lights(they didn't work because i didn't put my tranny back together right... i think... my speedo doesn't work iether)... so i go to test the reverse lights when i notice i have locked my keys in my car... so instead of getting the spare set from my auto teacher i desided to avoid him because i owe him $300 and didn't have the money at the time(i payed him and he was happy)

so i get one of my car buddies to use a coat hanger to get it open after trying many different keys in the house(hey you never know what might work!) and got the door open after a half an hour... did you know there was a little bar stoping people from putting coat hangers down the side of the window seal?

anyway we got it open and the door opens and close just as it should and it locks from the unside still but now my key doesn't work:( ... i made sure it wasn't just stiff and put a little pressure on the key... i bent the key:o ... so now i have been going over to the passenger side door and opening it from there... this is starting to annoy me along with the fact i don't have a working starter and role start every time i wanna go out:mad: ...

if anybody knows how to remedy any of these problems i would love the help!

Sounds similiar to a problem i had. Take your door panel off and look up in buy the door controls and see if the little arm came off of the handle latch. If so hook it back up then screw the threads of the little plastic nut.:brow: but it is kind of pain (little space):banghead: but check that and good luck

-Sean