Ultimate Subaru Message Board

another loyale tranny problem (yeah, I know)

It is a 4wd 3AT 92 loyale

ok, I cleaned and honed the govenor stuff, so it is not that, it slides "like butter" as the usrm says

this is what happens:

it shudders going into second

if you put more than normal stress on the transmission when in first, like going up a hill, it starts to slip

going into third is perfect, no problem there.

do you guys know what is going on now?

-AK.

It sounds like you have a real tranny problem (not the easy fix type like the governor), you could try a filter/fluid change and maybe add one of the “trans fix” snake oils. I asked around and was told the Lucas stuff was the best, I had good luck with it in a K-car 904 auto (worst AT ever made), though I think the filter change did the most good. Rebuilding your tranny will be expensive, it may be time to find a good used one.

Gary

what are the clutch packs? (they ingage the different planetary things right?) are they some kind of big plastic washer? because I found half of a plastic washer (about 3'' in diameter) in the fluid pan and i have been trying to find out what it is.

other than that it sounds like a new tranny is in order

-AK

I have a 94 Loyale 4x4 with the 3at also. Fortuantly it has absolutly no problems shifting. Very strong shift points.

The original owner took great care of this car, and only has 92k miles on her now.

Sounds like your going to be needing a rebuild soon, bands are probably all stretched.