Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 02 OBW is running fine but couple days ago, when I turned the key, nothing happened. I knew what was the culpit because the same thing happened one month ago. I opened the hood and with a screw driver, I scrapped the white flakey corrosion from the positive post. Once it had juice flowing through the car started right up.

My question is with that much corrosion build-up in one month, which is at fault here, battery or electrical system? Do I need to replace the OEM battery? I have since applied some corrosion resistent grease to post posts to keep the corrosion from building up.

Any ideas?

The grease should help...but whats the cause right? You may want to have your alternator checked to see if it is operating correctly. Chip and I have had our factory batteries since 98 in rough climates. (check the 103,300 original brake pads thread) So I doubt its the battery...although there's always a bad apple.

Good Luck.

Our '00 was doing the same thing. The guy at the battery shop (after checking out battery/charging system and pronouncing it healthy) said the problem is outgassing at the posts. He said that when they started making battery cases out of plastic instead of rubber this bacame a problem. The cases develop minute cracks around the posts and the normal outgassing causes the build-up.

The solution(s) ... clean really good and wash with white vinegar and then baking soda solution. Keep at it until there is no more foaming. Really slather the posts and surrounding area with dielectric grease (I didn't have any and used axle grease, which worked fine), put on those felt thingies and button it up.

I was cleaning my posts once a month, and it's been six months and no build up since.

Now, having said all this, I've never had the problem in any car EXCEPT the Legacy (including our '87 GL) ... go figger.