Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Justifying the BRZ and its cost

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ABawm 88 GL

ABawm 88 GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Westside Olympia

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:05 AM

I (as hard as I try) cant find a decent full side by side comparison between the BRZ and FRS. Could someone guide me to one because I dont understand why Subaru had to mark up the price so much higher than the FRS. Id rather own a BRZ but because of cost I feel like a lot of people would rather just settle for the FRS. I understand the slight differences in suspension and the interior electronics but the price doesnt reflect the gain in quality very well.

#2 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,893 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 26 October 2012 - 03:33 AM

#3 ABawm 88 GL

ABawm 88 GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Westside Olympia

Posted 26 October 2012 - 07:29 AM

I think it may just be where I live but the BRZ costs like 7k more at the dealership, looking online the price difference reallly isn't that bad at all. Especially with a turbo model coming out in a few years :headbang:

#4 subeman90

subeman90

Soobologist

• 2,777 posts
  • Akron PA

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

I find the Subarus to be more expensive simply due to supply and demand. Scion dealers have them...Subaru dealers don't.

#5 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,386 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:35 PM

I find the Subarus to be more expensive simply due to supply and demand. Scion dealers have them...Subaru dealers don't.

I Agree, Absolutely.

Here came on the Toyota Dealer.

About the Turbo, look ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

#6 carfreak85

carfreak85

EA81T Sherpa

• Members
  • 4,735 posts
  • Bell-something...

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:34 AM

They include more standard features on the BRZ like HIDs and Navigation. Also, there are about 12-15,000 Scions imported this year compared to 7,000 BRZs. It's not demand, per se, but the market is being manipulated in Toyota's favor.

Personally, I would never buy the Scion version. Not because I don't think it is a worthy car, for the simple reason that Subaru did the leg work on this vehicle.

When I sat for the first time in a pre-production BRZ, my immediate thought was, "There is no way Toyota designed this car, this is truly a Subaru."

If you've sat in any Subaru built in the last 10 years, everything will be familiar. Compare that to my mom's 2011 Camry, and, well, not so much.

Even in watching the interviews and "behind the scenes" engineering videos, the Subaru half of the operation seems to have a much more in depth, passionate knowledge of the car vs. Toyota, who are touting the styling and heritage of the car.

Scion might be easier to get into, but in my mind at least, it is a fraud.

BRZ:

Scion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHVhaTNRk8E

Watch these videos and decide for yourself.

Edited by carfreak85, 28 October 2012 - 11:37 AM.

#7 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,578 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:25 AM

I Agree, Absolutely.

Here came on the Toyota Dealer.

About the Turbo, look ~► Here.

Kind Regards.

"Sources we’ve spoken with at both companies have confirmed that for the time being, both the Subaru BRZ and the Scion FR-S will come with only the naturally aspirated, 2.0-liter inline four; it’s rated at 200 hp and 151 lb-ft of torque."

Did Car and Driver just call it an "inline" 4cyl.???

Makes everything else in the article a bit suspect if you ask me.

#8 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 8,578 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:29 AM

When I sat for the first time in a pre-production BRZ, my immediate thought was, "There is no way Toyota designed this car, this is truly a Subaru."

Not surprising.

Every car company is building "fake subarus" now

Look around the industry, and everyone is making all-wheel drive, unibody, independet suspension, utility wagons.

New Nissan Pathfinder = The newest Wanna be Outback

No surprise that they wanna follow the next big thing subaru is 20 years ahead on.

#9 natext6

natext6

Relax, smoke a dübaru.

• Silver Subscribers
  • 168 posts
  • calgary

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

It has to do with the trim load-out and the rear suspension (In Canada at least.)

If you get into an FRS then get into a BRZ you'll see it right away. The BRZ's interior is WAY nicer.

Interior.

With the Sport-tech package you get full leather interior with Alcantara seating surfaces, Automatic dualzone climate control, heated seats, and then you get a touchscreen nav system even at the lowest trim level.

Rear suspension.

I know that the BRZ and FRS have different rear suspension set-ups as well. The FRS is designed to drift, where as the BRZ is tuned more to sticking to the road. I don't know what you get with the FRS, but in the BRZ you get a TORSEN LSD in the rear.

Exterior.

The BRZ gets self leveling HID headlights, that comes in the base level. AND the front looks better. There's this beautiful badge right in the center of the front of the car, it has a really pretty graphic with 6 stars or something. It replaces the toyota symbol and generally makes the car FAR SUPERIOR :banana:

#10 MaddMaxx

MaddMaxx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • South Plainfield, NJ

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:16 PM

Around me there was only about a $5k difference between the FRS and the BRZ Limited... Once you sit inside, you know right away why.

FRS doesn't even offer a leather/upgraded interior. The Nav is a FRS upgrade, standard on the BRZ (all levels).

Also, for better or worse; Scion has branded itself as the hipper/younger/cheaper Toyota Brand, so its not going to be able to pull in price/quality point that a Subaru can....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users